25 replies to this topic

#21 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:41 AM

Uh, who says?

Sharpness and contrast are very much related to each other, as they both affect perceived detail. Hence why the MTF messures the two of them. And a good lens need to have both, be it for stills or motion picutre use.

#22 Mark Henderson

Mark Henderson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:05 PM

Uh, who says?

Sharpness and contrast are very much related to each other, as they both affect perceived detail. Hence why the MTF messures the two of them. And a good lens need to have both, be it for stills or motion picutre use.

Contrast and sharpness have little to do with each other optically, though they do in the appearance of the image.

Sharpness is how clean is the edge of a black line on white paper. Is there a clean break between black and white? Or is it fuzzy? I know you could reasonably use the word "contrast" here, but that's not how it's used in photography.

Contrast, when speaking of lenses, has to do with the effects of non-image forming light that, nevertheless, finds its way into your lens. It also has to do with how well a lens can keep hold of light that started out as image forming light, so that it gets to the film that way.

Words of Bill Smith
PhotoNet

#23 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:47 AM

Contrast and sharpness have little to do with each other optically, though they do in the appearance of the image.

Sharpness is how clean is the edge of a black line on white paper. Is there a clean break between black and white? Or is it fuzzy? I know you could reasonably use the word "contrast" here, but that's not how it's used in photography.

Contrast, when speaking of lenses, has to do with the effects of non-image forming light that, nevertheless, finds its way into your lens. It also has to do with how well a lens can keep hold of light that started out as image forming light, so that it gets to the film that way.

Words of Bill Smith
PhotoNet

Hi,

I don't think Mr Cooke or Herr Zeiss would agree, both of whom have Accadamy awards.

Stephen

#24 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:31 AM

I'd really like to know where you got the idea from that cine lenses are made for contrast and stills lenses for sharpness, because based on my knowledge that doesn't make any sense and just seems like a sweeping generalization. Zeiss lenses for instance are not just very contrasty, but also very sharp. I'd venture to say that the Zeiss Master Primes are the sharpest lenses available anywhere, both in the stills and cine market. There is a reason why they cost 14.000 Euros a pop.

#25 Tony Brown

Tony Brown
  • Sustaining Members
  • 689 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:28 AM

Hi,

I don't think Mr Cooke or Herr Zeiss would agree, both of whom have Accadamy awards.

Stephen

I think I'd agree with Mr Smith

#26 Bill Totolo

Bill Totolo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 700 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:11 PM

Going back to the original post, you can see Super Baltars in as recent a film as "The Brown Bunny" shot in S16. However, as I recall these lenses are radioactive.

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Metropolis Post