#41 Mark Kenfield

Mark Kenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1201 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Australia/Wherever The Wind Takes Me

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:38 PM

I think it depends a great deal on the strength of the effect you're looking for. After sitting through the wonderful 4k demo that Tiffen put together of all of their filters, I came to the conclusion for for general-purpose diffusion, ye olde reliable Black Promists still stir my soul the most (over all these newfangled Glimmerglasses etc.), but I was blown away by the effect of the Softnet Black 1 as well.

It has a significant softening effect and can be hard to slip past the video village crowd at times, but does lovely things in a close-up. The stronger grades of glassed net diffusion strike me as too strong for anything other than a really specific aesthetic that you've established with a director in advance.

There are also a bunch of artifacts you have to deal with once you put the net inside glass and in front of the lens, so I think that using straight fabric would be preferable most of the time.

#42 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:51 PM

I came back to the Tiffen SB black because it allows us to have a known,  repeatable mesh size.  But I suppose if glass is really problematic one could prepare mesh of measured cell size in frames.  Known cell size being usefull in figuring out how the filters work relative to focal length.  I snapped this pic comparing the cell size of Tiffen SN black 1 to 4.  I originally thought that the yarn making the mesh was graded lighter from #1 to #4.  Looking again I'm almost convinced,  but not fully.  But #1 looks heavier.

IMG_20160720_161545.jpg

#43 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 20239 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:09 AM

Nets are always tricky because the diffusion is caused by the bending of light around the threads, whereas the gaps in the weave allow the sharp image to pass through.  And since they don't really make nets in increments of heaviness (in terms of using them as a camera filter) other than the Tiffen Soft Nets and the heaviness is affected by how much you can stretch them before you glue them down (not to mention the focal length, the f-stop, and the size of the filter area relative to the glass area being used for the image) it's always going to be "unscientific" -- you just have to shoot tests for each individual project.

I've never used the Tiffen nets that are mounted to glass so I can't comment on them.  My nets are stretched onto 4x5 filter trays.

The #1 is the lighter one because the gaps between the threads are larger, and it's the clear area where the sharp image passes through.

#44 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:10 AM

#2 and #3 spacing looks like what I've used for a front net stretched across a filter frame or over the front of a lens. #3 and #4 look similar to what I've used for a rear net. I guess that's a pretty heavy effect. I've never used a weave as loose as #1. You might see the net pattern sooner when stopping down with that one. Would love to try them out sometime.

#45 Gregg MacPherson

Gregg MacPherson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts
  • Other
  • New Zealand

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:35 AM

To be clear,  I haven't used these Tiffen SNBs either.  I mean't before,  that I keep coming back to them,  when thinking of theory,  which may be helped by the set sized meshes.

Satsuki,  do you mean this particular set?  So they have to take vacation to SanFran?  

Edited by Gregg MacPherson, 20 July 2016 - 02:38 AM.

#46 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:14 PM

No, I meant that I would love to try a set of these filters on a project generally. They are still avail for purchase new, looking at B&H. Just not called for often enough these days for small rental houses to invest in them. And I don't really have the funds to invest in a set myself right now. I almost bought a used set a year ago, but it just wasn't a good enough of a deal to go through with it.

#47 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1219 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:26 AM

A lot of that blue-ish halo effect in Hamilton's photos come from fog filters though I'm sure he also used nets.

After I posted about him the other day, I just found out he was murdered so I came upon this thread.

I don't know about him using fog filters. If he did I haven't read about it.

His signature technique was to shoot Ektachrome 200 pushed to 400 or 800, possibly wide open, on a Minolta SRT101 with a 50mm Rokkor f1.7 lens. The lens would have a skylight filter upon which hair spray was sometimes applied for extra diffusion.

I'm saddened by his death and thought I had to get it out of my system.

#48 Miguel Angel

Miguel Angel
  • Sustaining Members
  • 861 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain / Ireland / South Africa

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:52 AM

I shot a commercial with the SN Blacks + Glimmerglass on Master Primes and I really liked the combination, I haven’t been able to use the SN Blacks again because there is only one camera rental house in Spain that has them and they don’t subrent them.

I haven’t been a fan of Black Promist ever but I really like the Black Diffusion, they are probably quite similar anyways haha.

Really looking forward to using the new Black Glimmerglass filters when they come out.

Have a lovely day!

#49 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2796 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:54 AM

After I posted about him the other day, I just found out he was murdered

Found hanged with an empty bottle of pills nearby days after a rape accusation. Probably not murder.

Edited by Mark Dunn, 20 November 2017 - 05:54 AM.

#50 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1219 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

Found hanged with an empty bottle of pills nearby days after a rape accusation. Probably not murder.

Not hanged, he had a plastic bag over his head.

Regardless of method, after reading all about the case my conclusion is that he was murdered.

#51 Samuel Berger

Samuel Berger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1219 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:53 PM

Anyway, I know he pushed the Ektachrome. I wonder if he pulled it in processing.

#52 Rodrigo Otaviano

Rodrigo Otaviano

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Student
  • Brazil

Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:39 PM

This is from a feature I'm shooting right now. I used a very fine black veil material, similar to the one posted by Mr. Mullen on the first post. I used it in front of the lens.

tucson_1.1.3.720p.jpg

Edited by Rodrigo Otaviano, 17 July 2018 - 12:47 PM.

#53 Habib Khan Awan

Habib Khan Awan

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 17 July 2018 - 03:40 PM

This is from a feature I'm shooting right now. I used a very fine black veil material, similar to the one posted by Mr. Mullen on the first post. I used it in front of the lens.

tucson_1.1.3.720p.jpg

Nice looking shot Rodrigo! Love the CA that's affecting the foliage, gives a real Annihilation vibe to the shot.

#54 Akos Baranya

Akos Baranya
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Other
  • EU

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:43 AM

Nice looking shot Rodrigo! Love the CA that's affecting the foliage, gives a real Annihilation vibe to the shot.

Very interesting effect, makes it surreal. Reminds me of deep dream images

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets