Stasha

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:29 PM

as a total beginner I need to make a short film. I am willing to spent aprx. $4500 for camera and accessories but I can't choose for months which one should I take. HD or VD, like Sony HDR-FX1 or canon xl2? ...and how complicated is to transfer everything for short film?

as someone who didn't use these cameras at all and had opportunity only to shoot on regular student cameras, but I am fast learner, please, please, please advise me what would be the best choice for me. IF you have any better ideas I am more than happy to hear.

Posted Image

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:11 PM

Just depends on if you want more resolution versus 24P capability. Personally, I'd take the Canon XL2 or DVX100B over the Sony HDV camera if I want more of the film look that 24P provides, especially if I lived and worked in an NTSC country. Or I'd get the 720P JVC HDV camera or wait for the Panasonic HVX200.

The Sony HDV camera does not shoot progressive-scan so you really get a sharper image than NTSC or PAL... that still looks like classic video (don't mess with the fake 24P option called 24F in the camera.)

But if you're determined to shoot and edit HD using the Sony camera, then at least get the 50i version of the Sony HDV camera since 50i converts better to 25P for a transfer to film, rather than converting 60i/1080 HDV to 24P for a film-out. If you live in a PAL country, working with 50i material shouldn't be a problem.

It would be nice if you signed your post with a real name and the country you're living in, if not the city.

Edited by David Mullen, 10 November 2005 - 01:13 PM.

#3 dancordle

dancordle
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Director

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:16 PM

I think you need to decide what you want your short to look like before you decide what to shoot on. I saw a brilliant short last summer at the Palm Springs Short Film Fest that was shot on a digital still camera that can record a short burst of video and sound. The camera's awful video was perfect for that particular short. I realy loved it. Other films were beautifully shot on 35mm - the perfect format for those productions.

Do you really have to buy a camera? Why not find athe best DP you can afford who has his/her own camera? If you must buy a camera, and perhaps you must, I guess you should buy one of the newer prosummer cameras that offer "HD". In your current position, I don't think you'll find one camera advantageous over another. Just remember, in two years whatever new prosummer camera you buy will have lost a lot of value compared to the newest toys. It makes more sense to borrow, rent, or employ unless you're really sure that it will be cheaper to buy in the long run. The money you save can be used for the production. But whatever you do, good luck with your short!

#4 Stasha

Stasha

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:00 PM

my film requests a lot of close-ups on eyes and it is going to be outside, in the park.

now, I do not like to borrow, and I have intentions to do some other short films in the next two years. What scares me a lot with Sony is that people told me it is to complicated to edit and that it is expensive, but in HD is future right?

Thanks a lot for your support.

Posted Image

#5 firefox7

firefox7
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2005 - 05:33 AM

as a total beginner I need to make a short film. I am willing to spent aprx. $4500 for camera and accessories but I can't choose for months which one should I take. HD or VD, like Sony HDR-FX1 or canon xl2? ...and how complicated is to transfer everything for short film?

as someone who didn't use these cameras at all and had opportunity only to shoot on regular student cameras, but I am fast learner, please, please, please advise me what would be the best choice for me. IF you have any better ideas I am more than happy to hear.
Posted Image

Have a look at this fellows work using the panasonic DVX-100..I think all the shooting was done in 24P SD.

http://www.pinelakef...nfilmindex.html

Cheers.

#6 Drew12345

Drew12345
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:34 AM

A guy i know from the area, uses the Panasonic dvx100 www.mimeticonline.com/ Quality work and looks like progressive movie quality the kind of camera i want.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

The Slider

CineTape

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks