Photo

was tv-Series "24" shot by a sony HDR-FX1 ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Zeng

Tim Zeng

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Digital Image Technician

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:36 PM

hello everybody,

someone told me that "24" was shot by sony HDR-FX1. does anyone know about it?

thanks

Tim Zeng

#2 Stas Tagios

Stas Tagios
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:46 PM

hello everybody,

someone told me that "24" was shot by sony HDR-FX1. does anyone know about it?

thanks

Tim Zeng

The first four seasons of 24 were shot on 35mm film. There was some talk about them switching to HD (using the Panavision Genesis camera) for the new season, but I don't know if they decided to go that way.

They have used the Sony PD-150 to shoot background plates for driving scenes and flying scenes. Perhaps they upgraded to the HDR-FX1 for this purpose in recent seasons? But the show itself was shot on 35 for seasons one through four.

"American Cinematographer" did a cover story on it in their Feb. 2004 issue. Read it here:

http://www.theasc.co...over/index.html

#3 Tim Zeng

Tim Zeng

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Digital Image Technician

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:55 PM

thanks Stas Tagios!

Tim Zeng

#4 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:36 AM

They have used the Sony PD-150 to shoot background plates for driving scenes and flying scenes. Perhaps they upgraded to the HDR-FX1 for this purpose in recent seasons? But the show itself was shot on 35 for seasons one through four.

Why the heck would they shoot background plates with a PD150? I see in the article that that is indeed what Charters says, but I just don't get it. Can anyone shed some light on why they would do this? It just doesn't make sense to me. Am I missing something here?

#5 Joshua Provost

Joshua Provost
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:35 AM

Why the heck would they shoot background plates with a PD150? I see in the article that that is indeed what Charters says, but I just don't get it. Can anyone shed some light on why they would do this? It just doesn't make sense to me. Am I missing something here?

If memory serves, it was simply very easy to shoot moving backgrounds (for which detail is not a concern) on the PD150, then project them digitally behind the actors while shooting the actual 35mm takes. Ease of use and speed.

#6 jbraver

jbraver
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2005 - 12:01 PM

they shoot plates for the projection on the PD150 because they are allways out of focus ( so film is kind of a waste) and Charters said he liked the motion blur of the video.

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products