#1 Miguel Bunster

Miguel Bunster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 November 2005 - 01:53 PM

Hi,

I am about to shoot in this location where fluos are 5000K aprox...so they should look cold, the thing is that I took some still references with my Digital camera (canon XT) in daylight mode...and wow they turn out hell warm..to the yellow side and in tungsten mode they turned out little green...so should I trust my color meter or I might as well spend the money and rent the vitalights 5500K...which is a lot of money...
Any opinion would help
Thanks!
Miguel

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 November 2005 - 02:05 PM

Well, obviously a 4800K-to-5000K flo is warmer than photographic daylight, which is 5500K. And it will be greener as well if it is something like a Cool White tube. However, if they look REALLY warm, it sounds like they aren't 5000K flos -- maybe they are Warm Whites.

Doesn't really matter in the sense that if it is the ONLY source of light in the scene, you can shoot under it and correct it to "white" whether you are shooting tungsten or daylight-balanced film (although daylight-balanced film is closer to correct for Cool Whites and thus needs a less extreme correction.)

The trouble is when you are mixing those flos with other sources of light with different colors. Since Cool Whites have some green in them, by correcting that out in post, any daylight in the shot will go magenta as a result, sort of pink-purplish. The slight warmth of Cool Whites compared to daylight is less of a problem but technically, again, you'd force the daylight to look a little cooler if you corrected for the Cool Whites.

If you don't want all of these mixed color temp looks, you'd have to balance everything to one color, and then time that in post to look correct. So if the windows are small, you'd add Plus Green gel to match the Cool Whites; OR if there aren't many Cool Whites, you'd swap them out of add Minus Green gel to them. OR switch off the overhead flos, or only switch on as many as you can afford to swap out to correct tubes.

If you are using a color temp meter, you need to read not only the color temp of the flos, but how much green is in them. Color temp alone isn't going to tell you the amount of green in them.

Edited by David Mullen, 11 November 2005 - 02:08 PM.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc