#1 Jason Eitelbach

Jason Eitelbach
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:48 PM

Hello,

I'm a film student at the University of Texas at Austin and I'm DPing a western short that's shooting in mid Feb. We want to shoot 35mm anamorphic. I've shot 35mm projects but never with anamorphic lenses, we have a Arri BL-4s and 35-III.

We're looking for a "classic" look i.e. very warm colors, monotones almost and we want to use the unique lens flares creatively so panavision primos are probably to well corrected to give us those cool flares.

Any suggestions where we could rent PL anamorphics especially close to the southwest (maybe the other LA, louisiana?)

Panavision may also be an option, so any descriptions of Panavision anamorphics would help. Oh and what about zooms? How good/bad are they? Most of the film I'm planning to shoot at a deep stop, but speed could be a factor on a few nighttime interiors. I want to have as agile of a camera package as I can. We'll have a small crew so a zoom depending on how huge anamorphic zoom lenses are it might really help.

Any help would be great. I'm very excited about this film both because we have some incredible Texas landscapes to photograph and it will be the first that I've had any real prep time to shoot a short.

thanks,
je

--
"To make films is horrible, hopeless, thankless, atrocious, and frustrating,
like a mortal sin. But it?s also marvelous and gives me great pleasure. Many
times, after finishing a film, I would like to never make another. But something
mysterious, some demon, compels me, obligates me to continue making films."
-Arturo Ripstein

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:36 PM

Any suggestions where we could rent PL anamorphics especially close to the southwest (maybe the other LA, louisiana?)

thanks,
je

Hi,
Call this guy:

http://www.austinfil...hop_contact.htm

He used to post here quite a bit but haven't seen him lately. He'd probably know where a set could be rented.

#3 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:48 AM

I'd call Clairmont Camera and get their old Todd-AO's out. They're cheap, old and flare quite nicely (I've heard). Or talk to Joe Dunton Camera and get some of his older Cooke anamorphics. Or get the Russian Lomo's out - they don't flare as much as older lenses unless provoked, but they do flare.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:24 AM

Yes, since you've got an Arri, I'd probably stick to older, cheaper, and smaller PL-mount anamorphics for this project -- maybe the old Todd-AO's at Clairmont if you can live with their warmth, or even Clairmont's relatively small Kish anamorphics built for steadicam work. Those aren't so great optically but they are small and easy to use. You don't want to deal yet with the big anamorphics.

As far as anamorphic zooms go, I'd avoid them. They are big, heavy, slow-speed (near f/5.6), expensive to rent -- and since they use rear anamorphic elements, the shots they make don't even look like anamorphic photography, more like softer spherical photography.

Next step up in quality / cost over the old Todd-AO's and Clairmont/Kish anamorphics would be the Hawk Compacts at Clairmont or Panavision's C-Series and E-Series (although the Hawks are a newer generation than C-Series, more like Panavision's E-Series.)

Or JDC anamorphics, which are nice lenses -- not too large, with that Cooke S3/4 low-contrast feeling, but well-designed. Not cheap to rent though.

At the top, I'd put the Primo anamorphics and the Hawk V-Series.

Maybe the Arriscopes, which no one seems to use -- but I think Clairmont got rid of them. Big & heavy, breathed badly, but fairly sharp. The Russian Elites are also very good, fairly big & heavy, and expensive to rent unfortunately.

Anyway, I'd rent the older, cheaper anamorphics out there -- just for the fun of shooting in anamorphic.

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc