Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:22 PM

hi

just wonder what is your most watched films?

and how many times you wathced them??

ram

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:54 PM

As a teenager, I was quite into rewatching movies in the theater multiple times. I saw "Star Wars" about twenty times in the first release, "E.T.", "Close Encounters", "Empire Strikes Back", "Raiders of the Lost Ark" etc, about the same.

Since 1980, I've seen "2001" projected about ten times, luckily mostly in 70mm. Same with "Lawrence of Arabia". Those two and "Seven Samurai" are probably the longest movies I've rewatched the most number of times in theaters.

On DVD/video, it's hard to say since I like to rewatch portions of my favorite movies but hardly sit down to watch them from beginning to end. Plus some movies are more rewatchable than others, which has nothing to do with whether they are the best movies or even my favorite movies. God knows how many times I watched "The Ten Commandments" or "The Wizard of Oz" when it was on TV as a kid.

I've rewatched "Citizen Kane" and "Blade Runner" many times on DVD, not to mention the "Star Trek" movies. I like watching parts of "A Bridge Too Far" over and over again for some reason... "Alien" is another favorite.

I like catching part of "Gone with the Wind" whenever it plays on TV. Almost any musical number shot in Technicolor will hold my attention when I run across one on TV.

"Casablanca". "Yankee Doodle Dandy". "His Girl Friday", etc. are all movies that I stop & watch when I run across them while flipping channels.

#3 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:41 PM

hi

ram

My wife bought me the deluxe "Lord of the Rings" set for Christmas. I've probably watched each of those 6 or more times each. "The Man Who Would be King", "Dr. Zhivago" and "Lawrence of Arabia" more than a dozen although I've only seen LoA once in the theater and never DZ or TMWWBK in the theater. "The Third Man" I've seen many times. "Dr. Stranglove" is above a dozen, same with "Lolita". "Star Wars" and "Raiders" are up there although I guess I don't need to see Star Wars again but my boy has the set so I'm sure I will.

Comedy-wise, the good "Pink Panther" movies and "The In-Laws" I've seen many times. "Annie Hall", "Manhattan", "Groundhog Day", "Fletch" for some reason.

I've only seen "Citizen Kane" once. I waited years for it to play in a theater near me and I only went that one time.

#4 Jonathan Spear

Jonathan Spear
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:50 AM

peter pan (animated disney version) = 10 times
lord of the rings (f.o.t.r.) = 5 times in the theater
pinocchio (animated disney version) = 10-15 times
amadeus = 10 times
The 5th element = about 30 times
fantasia = about 50

#1...

dumb and dumber = over 50 times at least... and fastforwarding/rewinding to that bit where harry nails mary with a snowball on the ski slopes (while stoned) - probably over 1,000

#5 stoop

stoop
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:40 AM

Without doubt my favourite and most watched film is "Edward Scissorhands"

Just so magical, and the score by Danny Elfman has to be the best film score ever!!!!

stoop

#6 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:21 PM

Me , The Great Escape , lost count how many times i went to see it as a teenager , same with The Good ,The Bad and The Ugly , spent a fotune . john holland london.

#7 Gordon Highland

Gordon Highland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Director
  • Kansas City

Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:42 PM

I've seen "Spinal Tap" probably 25+ times. "Boogie Nights," "Fight Club," and the original Star Wars triology at least 10 times each. Never gone to a theatrical release more than twice. I imagine what you're finding is that we're talking more "comfort food" here than actual cinematic magic. A friend of mine puts on "The 'Burbs" nearly every day as she's milling about the house.

So no "It's a Wonderful Life"rs yet? Huh.

#8 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 November 2005 - 01:32 PM

one word, six syllables - ZOOLANDER

#9 Chris Cooke

Chris Cooke
  • Sustaining Members
  • 246 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lethbridge, AB Canada

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:54 PM

one word, six syllables - ZOOLANDER

You lost me on that one man. I'm only counting three syllables. I couldn't even get through "Zoolander" once.
For me it's "The Fellowship of the Ring", "Count of Monte Cristo", "Princes Bride", "The Bourne Identity".

#10 Sol Train Saihati

Sol Train Saihati
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Gaffer
  • London

Posted 16 November 2005 - 07:19 PM

Predator - 400+ times... And that ain't no joke. Funny enough that film doesn't even make my top 100. :blink: The Big Lebowski has had a screening about once a week since it was released on DVD. As far as cinema movies go - in the UK its just tooo damn expensive to go more than a couple of times (@ £9 a pop) unless its at the Prince Charles.

Edited by djdumpy, 16 November 2005 - 07:22 PM.

#11 Jaan Shenberger

Jaan Shenberger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:50 PM

8 1/2 -
even after dozens of viewings, every time i watch it i notice several conceptual and formal elements that i hadn't before. incredible dream sequences too.

hercules in the haunted world -
mario bava's first color film... totally gorgeous. it takes full advantage of three-strip technicolor-- the bold. graphical cinematography stops you dead in your tracks. actually, that's how i first took note of it. i was walking past a tv as an old crummy transfer of it was airing on a cheap local channel in ohio. a few years ago, it was finally released on dvd and the transfer is top notch. highly suggested rental. "planet of the vampires", too.

#12 Ahjudah

Ahjudah
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:01 AM

Life is Beautiful.
Homicide (by David Mamet).
Defending Your Life.
The Man Who Wasn't There.
Grand Illusion.
3 O'Clock High.
Leon: The Professional.
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.
Whalerider.
The Blues Brothers.

#13 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 20 November 2005 - 03:58 AM

Dune :ph34r:

Bladerunner

I cant help myself with Empire and Return of the Jedi

The Blues Brothers..

hmmmm

Russian Ark I saw about 5 times in theatre

Waking Life is probably third after Dune and Star Wars et al

#14 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:38 PM

Dune :ph34r:

Bladerunner

I cant help myself with Empire and Return of the Jedi

The Blues Brothers..
hmmmm

Russian Ark I saw about 5 times in theatre

Waking Life is probably third after Dune and Star Wars et al

Add Donnie Darko and The Big Blue to that list also

#15 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:16 PM

8 1/2 -
even after dozens of viewings, every time i watch it i notice several conceptual and formal elements that i hadn't before. incredible dream sequences too.

hercules in the haunted world -
mario bava's first color film... totally gorgeous. it takes full advantage of three-strip technicolor-- the bold. graphical cinematography stops you dead in your tracks. actually, that's how i first took note of it. i was walking past a tv as an old crummy transfer of it was airing on a cheap local channel in ohio. a few years ago, it was finally released on dvd and the transfer is top notch. highly suggested rental. "planet of the vampires", too.

---the last three-strip technicolor films were made in 1955.
Plus anamorphic lenses, except long focal lengths couldn't be used on the cameras because of the prism.
CinemaScope helped speed up the demise of Three-strip.

'Black Narcissus' is the epitome of three-strip. 'Kismet' (non musical 40s version) is fine example of three-strip, but otherwise a mediocre film. The Powell-Pressberger Technicolor movies, most are photogaphed by Jack Cardiff, are among the best examples of three-strip.

& Bela Lugosi's 'Scared to Death' seems to be the best example of Cinecolor floating around today.
'Gallant Bess' would be second.

I usually wind watching 'Forbidden Planet' and 'Tora! Tora! Tora!' when they show up on Turner.
Though my favorite part of the latter is the planes taking off from the Japanese carriers at dawn from 'I Bombed Pearl Harbor'. There's something about those exhaust flames.

---LV

#16 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:30 PM

Hey,

I probably should mention a title that will impress folks but it has to "Dancer in the Dark".

Sure, all that handheld DV was irksome. It is the musical numbers that amaze me and I generally hate musicals. The scene on the faltbed train still blows me away. The loggers walk on the moving flatbed. They walk yet stay in frame as the train passes. His cut aways to scenic wides. The fast cut cuts of alternative subject framing. WOW! That Lars can really interpret the medium in a bold and artistic way.

#17 gregorscheer

gregorscheer
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:43 PM

hi

ram

Montana Sacra (Jodorowsky) and the rocky horror picture show are probably the ones I watched most

#18 Marc Alucard

Marc Alucard
  • Sustaining Members
  • 176 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:40 PM

Blade Runner
Chinatown
Dr. Strangelove
Fight Club
Goodfellas
Kill Bill 1&2
Mildred Pierce
Pulp Fiction
Sin City
Sunset Blvd.
This is Spinal Tap

I can't count the stuff I surf into on broadcast.

#19 Ckulakov

Ckulakov
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Student
  • Washington D.C.

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:41 PM

THE TERMINAL
by Steven Spielberg
with Tom Hanks

THE TERMINAL THE TERMINAL THE TERMINAL

THE TERMINAL THE TERMINAL THETERMINAL

THE BEST

#20 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:27 PM

The Deer Hunter, Apocalypse now, and Alien. Also, most things James Cameron and anything Sam Raimi. Many westerns as well, mostly Silverado, The Wild Bunch, and Once upon a Time in the West. The John Carpenter version of The Thing is also a favorite.

CineTape

Opal

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies