#1 Abel Klainbaum

Abel Klainbaum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 16 November 2005 - 06:22 AM

I'm being offered a used Sachtler 7+7 tripod head, and since I've never bought something like this, I was wondering if anyone had any words of advice on how to test it out (and maybe how much I should offer for it).

Thanks in advance for your tips...

Abel

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:53 AM

Well, first thing is to check all of it's operations. Try it with a camera or other weight on it. Test all of the settings for pan & tilt. You don't want them to stick or have trouble switching from one to another. If it is a model with adjustable springs then you need to test these as well. To really check the head properly you need to pay a camera tech to open it up to check the seals and for any internal wear. But if you can get it to function properly and the price is low then it can be a decent risk. Even if you need to have it serviced in the future the deal could still be worth it. I had my head completely rebuilt after ten years of use and it only cost $500, which is pretty low after all that use.

#3 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 05:36 PM

I bought an old used Sachtler head recently, and it's REEEEEAAAAALLLY stiff.
Mitch, where did you get yours rebuilt?

Wow, I'm not sure I want to pay $500 though. Has anyone here ever torn into one of these on their own?
I only paid $15 for it, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I couldn't fix it.

MP

#4 Abel Klainbaum

Abel Klainbaum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:54 PM

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same items.

I just want to check that I'm not getting ripped off. The head offered is a Sachtler 7+7 (or 7/7) probably about 15 years old. With 6' Gitzo legs, and the guy is asking for $1400. Does anyone know what this may be worth? I can't find this model in the Sachtler web site anymore...

#5 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:53 PM

I had my head revamped by the repair tech at Technological CineVideo Services (TCS) in New York, but pretty much any good film rental house should be able to do the work. For $15 bucks I guess you could do whatever you want, but the inside of a tripod head is like a car transmission. It's full of seals and fluids and gearings and springs under tension and plenty of other stuff you don't want to get into. Once you pull it apart you'll likely never get it back together again.

$1400 for an old Sachtler 7x7 on cheapo Gitzo sticks seems pretty high to me. What camera are you planning to use it on? I've seen people try to use Arri SRs and Aatons on those and blow the seals. You should look into the brand new Bogen/Manfrotto options at that price range. You may get a head that's just as good if not better. And if you really want something inexpensive, check out the Chinese tripods at prompterpeople.com.

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Glidecam