Red-Dave

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 16 November 2005 - 09:42 AM

Hi all.
I was wondering if anyone out there could recommend a place to learn more about the Sony DVW 700 series of cameras. Specifically, I would love to learn some color enhancement techniques to gain better control of things like skin tone for example, without having to use a warm card to skew a white balance.
If you know of a book that gets in-depth, or maybe an online resource that goes into detail about this topic I'd appreciate knowing more.
I just don't like the factory color scheme very much. To my eye people tend to end up looking like corpses, with a blue gray skin tone that is simply unacceptable. My workaround has been a set of warm cards to get a better skin tone, but it also turns white things yellow and green things brown. I know this camera can do better.
Thanks for any help!!!
Dave

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:17 AM

Hi all.
I was wondering if anyone out there could recommend a place to learn more about the Sony DVW 700 series of cameras. Specifically, I would love to learn some color enhancement techniques to gain better control of things like skin tone for example, without having to use a warm card to skew a white balance.
If you know of a book that gets in-depth, or maybe an online resource that goes into detail about this topic I'd appreciate knowing more.
I just don't like the factory color scheme very much. To my eye people tend to end up looking like corpses, with a blue gray skin tone that is simply unacceptable. My workaround has been a set of warm cards to get a better skin tone, but it also turns white things yellow and green things brown. I know this camera can do better.
Thanks for any help!!!
Dave

Hi,

Paul Wheeler wrote a book Digital Cinematography. This is based around the DVW 700/790 cameras. I think its worth a look!

Stephen

#3 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 16 November 2005 - 05:41 PM

Hi,

Paul Wheeler wrote a book Digital Cinematography. This is based around the DVW 700/790 cameras. I think its worth a look!

Stephen

I have this book its been pritty useful, especially as it outlines all the menu settings for the 700/790 and gives a good recommended base set-up.

It just needs to be updated now to cover the DVW 970 as its settings are a bit different, as a found out on a recent shoot.

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider