• Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • paris, france

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:02 AM

hello
for a documentary, for TV i'm asked to film with the aspect ration 4:3
i'd like to film in HD what are the cameras able to film 4:3?

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:13 AM

hello

Hi,

All HD cameras are native 16x9. You could make a letterbox 4x3 or a centre extraction for 4x3

Stephen

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:15 AM

hello

HD is native 16x9. Some cameras have a menu setting to show you a 4x3 frame framelines (vertical lines) inside 16x9 for later downconversion / cropping to 4x3 full-frame NTSC or PAL (a straight downconversion just creates a 16x9 "anamorphic" NTSC or PAL version). You'd basically take your edited HD master to a post house and ask them to make a 4x3 full-frame NTSC or PAL "center extraction" from 16x9 (hence why you need to frame 16x9 for consistent 4x3 center extraction, otherwise you're talking about a pan & scan session.)

In post, you can also make a separate 16x9 HD master that has side mattes to create a 4x3 frame. This version would be used for the 4x3 NTSC and PAL center extraction. You could use a full-frame HD version too; it's just more obvious to everyone that this 4x3 side-matted HD master is the one to use for making the 4x3 full-frame NTSC & PAL version.

Basically in NTSC or PAL (standard def) your choices for downconversions from HD are:
16x9 ("anamorphic")
4x3 full-frame (center extraction, i.e. cropped from 16x9 -- or pan & scan if necessary)
4x3 with 1.78 letterbox

This ignores anyone who wants a 2.35 letterbox version in either 16x9 or 4x3.

The Viper camera allows you to use all 1920 x 1080 pixels in recording for a 4x3, 16x9, or 2.35 image because the CCD pixels are made up of groups of micro-pixels of some sort that allow it to be remapped for different aspect ratios. However, since HD recordings are always 16x9, using the 4x3 mode creates a full-frame recording that looks stretched horizontally and 2.35 mode creates a full-frame image stretched vertically.

The Arri D20 has a 4x3 CMOS sensor, so in theory once could record a 4x3 image in data mode to a field recorder, although I'm not sure if Arri has gotten that feature working. I once asked them if it were possible to use 2X anamorphic lenses on the camera in 4x3 mode and record it somehow to full-frame 16x9 HDCAM-SR, and they said no -- it can't remap the full-frame sensor to fill a 16x9 HD recording. Right now it just crops the 4x3 sensor to 16x9 when recording to HDCAM-SR. But I assume that the 4x3 full sensor image must be able to be recorded somehow, probably as raw data.

Edited by David Mullen, 17 November 2005 - 11:21 AM.

#4 Delorme Jean-Marie

Delorme Jean-Marie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • paris, france

Posted 18 November 2005 - 01:51 PM

thanks stephen and david
it's amazing how every one of yours responses are a complete briefing on the matter and calls for each one experience.
thanks again

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC