#1 David Silverstein

David Silverstein
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Student
  • New York City

Posted 18 November 2005 - 03:01 PM

Well I plan on shooting a short on a DVX-100a and I was wondering what my tape options are...?

First off I am lead to believe that Mini-DV cams are able to use a DVCPRO, DVCPRO50 tape am I correct?

And if so DVCPRO50 I read it better in the long run for use on a projector if you plan on having your movie screened is that right?

What would you suggest for my situation I plan on shooting on 24p advanced mode with the cinegamma setting on.

#2 Gordon Highland

Gordon Highland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Director
  • Kansas City

Posted 18 November 2005 - 03:36 PM

The DVX accepts miniDV tapes. That's it.

When you're done editing, you can use/rent/hire another deck and any required hardware to lay it off to whatever mastering format you want. While there's no quality upgrade in doing this (less, if anything), the larger tapes are more robust with redundant data and better suited to hold up through frequent playbacks. But you could master to anything: DigiBeta, DVCPRO50, DVD, etc. Find out from the festival or whomever what the preferred screening formats are.

#3 David Silverstein

David Silverstein
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Student
  • New York City

Posted 18 November 2005 - 04:47 PM

Thanks. That narrows my options low enough lol.

Anyway eh I think DVCPRO50 is way overpriced and not worth it. I will master it with DigiBeta or BetaSP which I have access to several BetaSP decks.

#4 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 November 2005 - 08:23 PM

I think DVCPRO50 is way overpriced and not worth it.

I'd be careful with statements like that!

I have access to several BetaSP decks.

Good for you for having free access to BetaSP. But, that does not make the competition overpriced!

#5 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 18 November 2005 - 09:18 PM

For the camera he is using its overpriced. DVCPRO 50 has one advantage. 4:2:2 compression as apposed to miniDV 4:1:1 (I think these are right, its off the top of my head, so correct me if I am wrong)

If you can master to digibeta I would recomend that, even if the SPs are free. odds are the SPs are old and out of spec, and even if not its not much better than mini-DV which means more loss. Digi will also keep the digital production change, and if you have a way to send it from the computer or DV deck through a digital connection like SDI, you will elimiate loss from multiple A/D D/A conversions. (it will go through a computer algorythm, in a digital setting this is much more precise.)

one more thing, with the advanced setting you must be careful, the motion wont be anything like film right off the tape. you will have to remove the redundant images the camera records to fill the mandatory 29.97 fps of miniDV.

I think there is a program called DVmovie maker or something like that. I have used it and its pretty easy to set up. Once its done it saves everything as an AVI with the DV codec, but in 23.9 fps. if you want that onto video again with the right pulldown cadence, you will have to run it into after effects or something like that to apply the 3:2 pulldown or the 3:2:2:3 pulldown.

complicated, but worth it compared to the regular setting (the end result is the same, but with advanced if you need to do a 24fps blowup or have a projector that can do 24p then you can show it without the redundant frames and pulldown, with the regular you will loose about half the video information on about half the frames, anyone with a pulldown attached to it.)

my other advice is to expose white to IRE 90 to give you headroom in color correction. make sure the exposure range of your scene is within the chips performance levels (havent done a check on it, but when I shot my film with that camera I would estimate it at around 6 stops.) use a vectroscope/waveform if you can.

#6 Matthew Parnell

Matthew Parnell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Electrician
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 18 November 2005 - 10:13 PM

Most festivals accept as screening formats BetaSP with some accepting DigiBeta as well. Beta SP seems to be the more common format, but DigiBeta is starting to take over, from my experience DVC Pro and DVCAM are rare formats for festivals to accept.

With any projects that i plan to send to festivals i get at least a BetaSP master made.

If your projects are for TV Broadcast most TV Stations prefer digibeta but usually will accept BetaSP.

Cheers,
Parnell.

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19768 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 November 2005 - 11:05 PM

I would try to make both a digital betacam and beta-SP master (and I don't mean make a digital betacam copy off of beta-SP...) In the future, you may prefer making any digital dubs from a digital master like digital betacam, rather than from an analog master like beta-SP.

#8 David Silverstein

David Silverstein
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Student
  • New York City

Posted 19 November 2005 - 01:29 PM

I'd be careful with statements like that!

Like the person after you said for my low budget it is overpriced or I should rephrase that to be way out of my range when I can use a BetaSP which almost all the stations around me use and almost all festivals accept.

I would try to make both a digital betacam and beta-SP master (and I don't mean make a digital betacam copy off of beta-SP...) In the future, you may prefer making any digital dubs from a digital master like digital betacam, rather than from an analog master like beta-SP.

Thank you for your helpful tips. I will see if my teacher has a digibeta deck im not sure if he does. We have been using BetaSP in class but ill have a hard copy on an external harddrive to keep in a safe envirionment. I will back it up mutiple times.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies