#1 Darryl Lee

Darryl Lee

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 19 November 2005 - 12:30 PM

Just a quick check here to see if anyone has any tips on checking the gate with a Compact and an Sl. I'm starting a picture next week and even though I've worked with both these camera's in the past this is my first feature length movie with both. I've always found the gate a bit 'tricky' to release, being left handed isn't something I would think is a problem, and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to slip the gate
out easily and quickly. Is it a one hand thing or a two hand thing, who's found what the easiest? I know is sounds simple and a minor question but I'm wondering how I can get around this easily. Also I'm using a cinetape for the first time if anyone has any tips with working with it. My DP is a highly respected AC and as he's also operating I don't want to take his time up with questions about the tweaks of working with it. Any tips on working with the compact or sl would be greatly appreciated, thanks all.
:)

#2 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 November 2005 - 08:03 AM

It sounds like you're talking about removing the gate in order to check it. That's overkill. I did a feature with an SL earlier this year and the gate seemed to be pretty easy to remove...although I'm not an A.C., so I didn't do it myself. You shouldn't have to remove it very often though. Both the 1st's on that film liked to check the gate from the back most of the time, but you can check it from the front as well, obviously.
I can't help you with any more specifics of removing the gate, but I'd make sure to check with a tech at the prep to make sure you know how to remove it, and more importantly, put it back.

#3 oscar jimenez

oscar jimenez
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • PANAMA, REPUBLIC OF PANAMA

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:03 PM

You can get the cam manual from Moviecam Website anyway.
Cheers
Oscar

#4 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:57 PM

Checking the gate from the back is often time-consuming... and I only take it out if I see something in there. Though other people might work differenty, of course. I am jealous that you're working with the Compact, I was 1st AC on a shoot a couple weeks ago with a Super America and we were handheld...that thing is a monster!

#5 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:05 AM

Checking the gate from the back is often time-consuming...

Funny, one of the reasons my A.C.'s liked to check it from the back is because it was quicker. But both of those guys have been 1sting for over 10 years, so they're very familiar with pretty much all cameras. Also, when checking the gate when the camera is on steadicam, removing the lens can cause problems with any motors that are attached to it, such as focus and iris motors. Getting the lens back on with the motors in the exact same place can be tough, and it's best not to have to recalibrate the motors every time you check the gate.

#6 Darryl Lee

Darryl Lee

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 26 November 2005 - 07:35 PM

guys, thanks for your help, it's been good to get feedback. I've been checking from the lens as we're using superspeeds and it's not too time consuming. As much as I like the Compact it Is a finicky gate to pull out, no way round that. No steadicam on this job thankfully, making life easier in some regard. My DP has been telling me that if I was on the DeVinci Code I'd be on a 100mm all day so I'm lucky that I have a good stop and a great crew behind us. If anyone has anytips on how to get the best out of a cinetape I'd really appreciate some feedback. More and more I'm hearing that 'I wouldn't do a feature without one', so the idiosyncracies of it are something I'd like to be a step ahead of if there were any tips out there. Cheers.

#7 Rob van Gelder

Rob van Gelder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:39 PM

Though it is ok to check through the lens (which you can do only well with zoomlenses or relatively long lenses anyway), I recommend to have a check at least once or twice during each roll INSIDE the camera.

In my years as assistant I had at least two times that there was an enormous build-up for dust in the film-path UNDER the gate, so you would never see it through the lens. It was caused one time by a little chip of film that had been pulled out of the magazine (Jammed probably earlier?)
Another tile was while shooting in the desert, with a helicopter that landed and an Arri 3. Sand blew in the magazine dial opening, was transported inside the camera and it looked like the sahara inside! Stratches all over! Imagine if you decided to check through the lens " because you don´t want any sand to get into the camera".

I even had one time a damaged gate, don´t know how that happened but I noticed a little cut on the upper side, looking through the lens (which is actually on the under-side in the camera) after the first takes.
I checked and there was a little piece of metal sticking out, towards the film and making a very big scratch.

We were in the woods, far away from any rental company so the only thing to do was to take the swiss army knife and file it off...... it worked but was scary, for sure!

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

The Slider