#1 Lyle Lanley

Lyle Lanley

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:25 AM

Hi, I'd like to conduct an interview with a DP that's been in the business for around 3-5 years +. If you have an MSN name, or AOL Instant messenger name, leave it in here or PM me. It will be a short 20 question interview. I would like to do it tonight around 6:30-9-30 Eastern. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

#2 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:01 PM

An interview for what? Are you looking to hire someone for a job? If so, what kind of job? I think you'll need to post more information before you get anyone interested.

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 November 2005 - 08:33 PM

An interview for what? Are you looking to hire someone for a job? If so, what kind of job? I think you'll need to post more information before you get anyone interested.

He's marked a student. I would guess that it's for a class assignment.

#4 Lyle Lanley

Lyle Lanley

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:50 PM

Yea, it's for an assignment. And I'll be available tommorow from 4-11pm Eastern for the interview. It's just some basic questions. The questions will be focused around Education needed/Economy/Mechanics of being a Director of Photography.

#5 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:26 AM

This assignment reminds me of the scale model architectural-grade golf courses we had to build in middle school gym class! We never did learn to play golf that year... just silly assignments, one after another.

But, maybe this is for a journalism class and not a filmmaking class? If not, I'd complain to the administration. Seriously.

#6 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:12 PM

This assignment reminds me of the scale model architectural-grade golf courses we had to build in middle school gym class! We never did learn to play golf that year... just silly assignments, one after another.

But, maybe this is for a journalism class and not a filmmaking class? If not, I'd complain to the administration. Seriously.

I wouldn't tell him to complain quite yet. I've had to do similar things at RIT and I'm very happy with the education I'm getting in film production there. It's just that making films as a student is very different from doing it professionally, with a good sized crew, etc.

Now if that sort of assignment was routine... :angry: :(

#7 Matt Irwin

Matt Irwin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:21 PM

Owen,
Do you go to the Brooks Institute? I've heard that Brooks film students have to do an assignment like that...

#8 Lyle Lanley

Lyle Lanley

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:32 PM

Nope, I don't go to the Brooks Institute. I go to Dutchess Community College, they have an excellent communications program here. This interview is for English, but I'm killing 2 birds with one stone because I have to do an interview for a COM class also.

The advanced classes are great for those that get into them I got into one as a DP and we make 5-6 half hour documentaries over 2 years. Also we go to a film festival in North Carolina next year, it should be an awesome experience

Also I have a friend who's going to full sail in Florida in June. I've heard only bad things about it, what's the consensus here?

And any takers for the interview?

#9 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 November 2005 - 06:54 AM

Also I have a friend who's going to full sail in Florida in June. I've heard only bad things about it, what's the consensus here?

And any takers for the interview?

As for the interview.....you should probably email some people individually and ask them. You may have better luck that way.
As for Full Sail....look it up in the archives. There is at least one long thread about it.
Good luck with the interview.

#10 David Silverstein

David Silverstein
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Student
  • New York City

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:07 AM

Ask David Mullen hes the most professional on this forum. If he has time he will most likely do it.

As for full sail I dont know much but its definitly VERY VERY expensive around 30k a yaer I think.

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape