#1 Christoph Heimer

Christoph Heimer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Student

Posted 20 November 2005 - 01:13 PM

Hello,

I just finished a shoot on the varicam and do now have to cut the movie. I was not the DoP and so was not allowed to change any settings of the camera. On the first day of the shoot I looked on the preview monitor and thought "that looks like 1/25 shutter on my dvx100". "Is the shutter speed set to 1/50?" I asked the DoP (who had never shot on a Varicam before) "the shutter is off -> in standard mode -> on 1/50!".
Ok I thought, when the shutter on my dvx100 is deactivated, it works in 1/50 mode, so I guess he has to be right...

But now in postproduction, I see the Varicam footage every day and there it has so much motionblur that it can't possible be shot in 1/50 mode. The shots look very video-like, nearly like interlaced, but are 720p 23,96fps.

Does anybody who has shot something on the varicam know how the shutter speed settings work? I would like to know if anybody else has made the same experiences and how to avoid it on my next shoot!

Thanks in advance :)

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 November 2005 - 01:28 PM

Well, if you were shooting 25P, then "shutter off" would be 1/25th of a second, not 1/50th. "Shutter off" at 24P is 1/24th, etc.

If you were shooting standard 50i (which I don't think the Varicam can do), then "shutter off" would be 1/50th of a second. For standard 60i, shutter off is 1/60th. And these are usually also the default (standard) shutter speeds.

Now I don't know if there is a "shutter default" on the Varicam that is 1/50th of a second or not.

But I would hope your DP is smart enough to manually set a shutter speed when shooting video rather than assuming anything about what "shutter off" or "shutter default" was. If he told you he was shooting at 1/50th of a second at 25P, then hopefully he manually selected 1/50th of a second.

I'm not sure why your relationship with your DP wasn't more collaborative. I'm more than happy to discuss with my directors about what shutter speed to use, and if the image looks odd on the monitor, what the cause of that might be, and to double-check the camera's menu set-up, etc.

Sometimes there's no solution, like when we had to rent an HD zoom once locally on a shoot that breathed horribly when you racked focus, and the director complained, i.e. "What in the hell is going on?" everytime she saw a focus-rack. I explained to the director what the cause was, but we couldn't fix it without using a different lens (luckily I guess, it was not my decision to rent this particular lens, and luckily this was only on a B-camera -- the lens on our main camera was fine.)

On the DVX100, it's confusing because at 24P, you have to manually select 1/24th of a second if you want it, even though what you are really doing is using no shutter at all to get that exposure time. So people get confused and think the default shutter (often 1/50th) is the same thing as "shutter off". But I would assume your DP was trained on professional video equipment and not the DVX100...

Edited by David Mullen, 20 November 2005 - 01:32 PM.

#3 Christoph Heimer

Christoph Heimer
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Student

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:21 PM

Well, if you were shooting 25P, then "shutter off" would be 1/25th of a second, not 1/50th. "Shutter off" at 24P is 1/24th, etc.

If you were shooting standard 50i (which I don't think the Varicam can do), then "shutter off" would be 1/50th of a second. For standard 60i, shutter off is 1/60th. And these are usually also the default (standard) shutter speeds.

Now I don't know if there is a "shutter default" on the Varicam that is 1/50th of a second or not.

But I would hope your DP is smart enough to manually set a shutter speed when shooting video rather than assuming anything about what "shutter off" or "shutter default" was. If he told you he was shooting at 1/50th of a second at 25P, then hopefully he manually selected 1/50th of a second.

I'm not sure why your relationship with your DP wasn't more collaborative. I'm more than happy to discuss with my directors about what shutter speed to use, and if the image looks odd on the monitor, what the cause of that might be, and to double-check the camera's menu set-up, etc.

Sometimes there's no solution, like when we had to rent an HD zoom once locally on a shoot that breathed horribly when you racked focus, and the director complained, i.e. "What in the hell is going on?" everytime she saw a focus-rack. I explained to the director what the cause was, but we couldn't fix it without using a different lens (luckily I guess, it was not my decision to rent this particular lens, and luckily this was only on a B-camera -- the lens on our main camera was fine.)

On the DVX100, it's confusing because at 24P, you have to manually select 1/24th of a second if you want it, even though what you are really doing is using no shutter at all to get that exposure time. So people get confused and think the default shutter (often 1/50th) is the same thing as "shutter off". But I would assume your DP was trained on professional video equipment and not the DVX100...

Well, I was not the director, but am only the editor of the movie, so I didnt have any influence on what was going on during the shoot with the camera. But what you tell me there is what I had feared worst. They shot everything on 1/24, and like that the footage does look indeed. It's horrible, we had another shoot with the same dp one year ago on a xl1s and he always wanted to go 1/25 because it "looks so cool". I tried to force him to use 1/50 as often as possible because imo it looks more film-like, but obviously he is not able to see the difference... 4 years of studying cinematography did had no effect on him at all as it seems...
Argh I'm freaking out!! What an idiot :angry:

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Abel Cine

CineTape

Opal

Tai Audio

The Slider

Metropolis Post