i/t switch on the bolex

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 secateur

secateur
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:22 AM

i recently shot some stop motion with a bolex reflex 4, needless to say the shoot took 10 hours and involved the collaboration of 8 or so kind people. much to my dismay the next morning i realised that the i/t switch was set to T!! :o

feeling sick in the stomach but still think i will put the reel into be processed on the off chance that something might turn out. my question to you is this.. should i pull process???

i was using 500T stock and i was reading 5.6 when believing that the button was set to I (1/30th to 1/40th) i have studied the shutter when using the cable release and believe that i was actually exposing at about a 1/4 of a second instead of a 1/30. its pretty ridiculous i know! but any suggestions would be great..

p.s. im not afraid of a little flicker, but does pull processing degrade the image considerably??

#2 Clive Tobin

Clive Tobin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:05 PM

p.s. im not afraid of a little flicker, but does pull processing degrade the image considerably??

Sorry but your footage is probably trash can fodder. Even a few percentage points of unevenness in exposure between frames will cause an intolerable flicker. Doing it by hand, while not being aware that you even need to be that accurate, may be 10 or 100 times less uniform.

I wouldn't pull process as 3 stops overexposure is (barely) within the latitude for normal processing when lightened up in printing or transfer. Pull processing by that much will usually cause low contrast and messed up color. Not that I have actually tried this with this particular stock.

#3 Steven Budden

Steven Budden
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Other
  • San Francisco

Posted 01 December 2005 - 08:04 PM

You could process a short test segment, but you're probably better off to use that processing money to buy new film and shoot again.

Steven

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Opal

CineLab

Ritter Battery

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly