• Sustaining Members
  • 569 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, Greece, London UK

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:56 AM

Hello,
The scene is like this:
Night exterior,
A well lit pool with a woman swimming in it, night party lit with candles mostly,
camera is doing some crane up movement, passes a fence, leaving the pool behind, to a big, general shot of a village with narrow (really narrow streets, not for vechicles), there is a small port on the far background.

I was thinking about using balloons, but I ve got the fear that would be on the frame!!
Any thoughts?
Musco lights (cross-lighting) is a second thought, but unfortunately the streets are too narrow to let light pass thru,so I guess I have to spread thousands meters of cables all around to light it.

Thanks in advance,
Dimitrios Koukas

Edited by Dimitrios Koukas, 27 November 2005 - 08:56 AM.

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:43 AM

Hello,
The scene is like this:
Night exterior,
A well lit pool with a woman swimming in it, night party lit with candles mostly,
camera is doing some crane up movement, passes a fence, leaving the pool behind, to a big, general shot of a village with narrow (really narrow streets, not for vechicles), there is a small port on the far background.
I was thinking about using balloons, but I ve got the fear that would be on the frame!!
Any thoughts?
Musco lights (cross-lighting) is a second thought, but unfortunately the streets are too narrow to let light pass thru,so I guess I have to spread thousands meters of cables all around to light it.

Thanks in advance,
Dimitrios Koukas

This sounds like Lindos (Rodos) where I took my wife for our honeymoon!

Maybe you can talk the shopkeepers into hanging christmas lights along their facades?

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 November 2005 - 10:46 AM

Well, obviously the foreground is not the hard part to light, but the far background. You could side-light with a big unit if you can't backlight, or you could just light the village with lots of spots from the ground, which of course is time-consuming. Or shoot the shot at twilight....

#4 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:22 AM

Could have the ballons on cranes as well, so you could move them during the shot ?

#5 Dimitrios Koukas

Dimitrios Koukas
  • Sustaining Members
  • 569 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, Greece, London UK

Posted 27 November 2005 - 07:23 PM

Well, obviously the foreground is not the hard part to light, but the far background. You could side-light with a big unit if you can't backlight, or you could just light the village with lots of spots from the ground, which of course is time-consuming. Or shoot the shot at twilight....

Thank you David,
I think that going for magic-time will save me a lot, Vision2 200T would be my main stock, so maybe push +1 will do the job.
In Greece twilight lasts for about 20 minutes, and F/stops steping down (or up) really quick.
I have to plan a reshoot for it, just in case.
I have to check the shot's direction in relation to the sunset (or sunrise ) to be sure that I will have an even dark blue sky.
We will probably add the moon after (sorry I didn't mentioned it).
Dimitrios Koukas

This sounds like Lindos (Rodos) where I took my wife for our honeymoon!

Maybe you can talk the shopkeepers into hanging christmas lights along their facades?

I hope that you have had a great time, not a bad idea at all, thanks!
The island is Ydra, near Athens.

Opal

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc