#1 Eugene Lehnert

Eugene Lehnert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:49 AM

I have a roll of reversal that I shot. It's been processed. I also have a lot of negative film for processing and transfer still left to be done. Can I include my reversal roll when sending my film to a lab? Will they transfer the reversal via telecine at no extra charge? I will be calling labs today but I wanted to know what to expect.

If anyone has done this can you post your experiences?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:54 AM

It's no problem transferring both negative and positive film on a telecine -- just warn the lab & colorist that one roll is reversal.

#3 Eugene Lehnert

Eugene Lehnert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:00 PM

Cool, thanks. Wasn't sure if there was going to be an extra charge or not. I wouldn't think so, but you never know.

I hand processed some film back in college and sent it to Bono films and they freaked out and called me about it when I asked them to transfer it. I had to explain that it was hand processed reversal and that I wanted it transfered as a postivie and not as a negative along with my other film.

#4 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:03 PM

A different telecine/scanner setup is used for each, so they need to be in separate rolls. Would not be easy to handle a single roll with negative and positive images intercut.

#5 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:07 AM

It's no problem transferring both negative and positive film on a telecine -- just warn the lab & colorist that one roll is reversal.

Hi,

The colourist has to change the focus of the telecine as the image is on the other side of the film.

Stephen

#6 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:59 AM

Hi,

The colourist has to change the focus of the telecine as the image is on the other side of the film.
Stephen

If both are camera originals, the image orientation is the same (reads correctly through the base side). If the positive image is a direct contact print from the negative, then the orientation will be changed (image will read correctly through the emulsion side).

#7 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:53 PM

I have a roll of reversal that I shot. It's been processed. I also have a lot of negative film for processing and transfer still left to be done. Can I include my reversal roll when sending my film to a lab?

This might sound obvious or even incredible . . . . but just a small tip: if you include your processed reversal with the unprocessed neg, make sure you label them all clearly, and keep the processed reel separate.

It's been known for a lab to make a silly mistake and assume that there wouldn't be one roll of processed film hidden amongst several rolls sent for processing. Disaster can ensue. Remember that the lab guys don't actually look at the unprocessed film!

#8 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 01 December 2005 - 03:27 AM

If both are camera originals, the image orientation is the same (reads correctly through the base side). If the positive image is a direct contact print from the negative, then the orientation will be changed (image will read correctly through the emulsion side).

John,

Yes your right, I was thinking back 25 years in television when the negative was printed, so it was an issue to mix negative and reversal. I guess a Spirit with a Divinci could handle the colour correction change in real time!

Stephen

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera