6 replies to this topic

#1 jijhh

jijhh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:21 PM

If I just gel my tungsten lights with daylight conversion gels, I should be fine to shoot on daylight stock, correct?

Andrew

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:29 PM

If I just gel my tungsten lights with daylight conversion gels, I should be fine to shoot on daylight stock, correct?

Andrew

Correct, but the blue filtration will cut the light output. For example, the equivalent of a Wratten 80A (3200K to 5500K conversion filter) has a "filter factor" of 2 stops:

http://www.kodak.com...onversion.shtml

Usually best to match the stock to the light source if you can, but gelling can help match light sources to each other (e.g., filtering daylight coming through a window to match tungsten lighting, or vice-versa).

#3 Mario C. Jackson

Mario C. Jackson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 November 2005 - 03:48 PM

I would just use a filter. It would be alot quicker and will save you alot of time that you may need when you are shooting. But if you don't have the filter then I would defintley say that gelling the lights would be the next best thing.
Hope this helps
Mario C. Jackson

#4 Chris Cooke

Chris Cooke
  • Sustaining Members
  • 246 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Lethbridge, AB Canada

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:03 PM

If you want your 3200K lights to look white on daylight film, you'll need to gel with Full Blue (#3202). In this case, leaving a light ungelled would be equivilant to shooting with tungsten stock and putting full CTO on the lights.
If you need the extra exposure, you could shoot ungelled and then fix it when timing.

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:30 PM

I would just use a filter. It would be alot quicker and will save you alot of time that you may need when you are shooting. But if you don't have the filter then I would defintley say that gelling the lights would be the next best thing.

A camera filter won't help if he's using the tungsten lights in a daylight-lit interior.

Either way, an 80A camera filter or Full CTB gel on a light loses you two stops of light.

#6 Joseph White

Joseph White
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:21 AM

there's also no law saying that all the light in frame has to be of the same color temperature. if you're working with daylight coming in windows, try using half CTB on your units if you're worried about stop-loss. newer stocks like vision2 250D handle mixed lighting really well with day interiors. if you don't see the windows you can also put half CTO on them, and that combined with the half CTB on your units will bring everything to "normal" (although not 100% correcting anything, if you catch my drift). but yeah i'd say avoid using the 80A and try and treat everything with gels - as you can adjust individual sources with gels, yet with a filter you change everything across the board.

#7 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:22 PM

If the windows aren't too big, gel them.

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Opal

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc