#1 Latifian

Latifian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • tehran IRAN

Posted 28 November 2005 - 03:43 PM

When we want to take motion picture in negative ( is this named cinematography?),we search how the light effect over the negative with sensitometering. the curve is resulted guide our how lighting for the best end.

this subject always employed me in videography.my guestion is for this topic:

Did the camera producer never presented the source for this matter with his productin(purpose:light effect on CCD)?
Is this wished rational?what is your opinion?

guide me, thankful
latifian

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 28 November 2005 - 04:47 PM

If I understand your question you want to know why CCD manufacturers dont provide a spectal response chart showing the density response at given exposure levels?

The reason this usually isnt shown is because most cameras are going for a balanced look, it does them no good to print that information, few who use the cameras would understand it or use it in their purchasing consideration. Also, video cameras have white ballance and color matrix to make up for the relative non-linearity of the CCD itself.

Most CCD work should be color corrected, not because you shot it wrong, but because its best to shoot clean, with ballanced color and exposure set to put the scene just within the cameras quantization abilities. This way you capture as much information as you can from the start and color correct in post.

The only difference in this comes with regard to glass filters. A picture that is ballanced to tungsten and then has a filter placed over it will have less noise than shooting without the filter and color correcting that up to the color you want, reason being is your cutting the light before it gets to the CCD. all prossessing done on the signal comming out of the chip will influence noise base.

If your looking for a guide on how to assume the curve of the cameras response, I assume an engeneer can perform a test, but its much easier to understand how to capture the sharpest picture with the most color and then correct in post to fine tune contrast, pedistal and gama to your liking. No chip will look good from the get go (at least, you cant choose chips like you would a film stock)

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Willys Widgets