my rex-2 keeps jamming

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rndfilms

rndfilms
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:51 PM

My poor Bolex...it is in very good shape, especially considering its age, and perfect for my needs, BUT: the darn thing keeps jamming. I have recently had it lubed and cleaned, by JK Camera here in the Bay area, but I have noticed that the takeup reel slips and jerks as the camera runs, and it still jams. The takeup reel stops taking up the film, and the camera stops running when the film gets all folded up inside. Shouldn't the takeup reel move smoothly? Is there a way to fix this? Does anyone here have experience with this problem?

-Steiny
RNDFilms, producer
Sand Francescow

Edited by rndfilms, 28 November 2005 - 07:53 PM.

#2 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 29 November 2005 - 12:15 AM

My poor Bolex... I have noticed that the takeup reel slips and jerks as the camera runs, and it still jams. The takeup reel stops taking up the film, and the camera stops running when the film gets all folded up inside. Shouldn't the takeup reel move smoothly?

Yes, their is proably a Torque spec for the takeup. many Cameras use a spring belt to create the proper touque. Too Much and you will pull th efilm in the gate, too little and you get slack which can jam.

#3 Boris Belay

Boris Belay
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Other
  • Brussels, Belgium

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:57 AM

Hi, yes, that sounds like a slipping belt on the lower spool sprocket. On all H16's, the two spool sprockets are driven by small metallic (spring-like) belts, but those are only accessible by dismantling the whole camera. The bottom belt is particularly hard to reach because it is under the spring motor mechanism, although you may be able to clean that belt without removing the motor.
There must be some kind of grease on the wheel and belt (unlikely that it just slackened, and it's obviously not altogether broken). One possible other problem (or half-solution) would be to make sure that lower sprocket turns as freely as it can (perhaps it has some extra drag that is just enough to slow the whole thing down half-way down your spool). You can try something like WD40 at the base of the spool axle (protect the rest of the inside of the camera as you spay it), and rotate it by hand to see if it helps (it cleans and lubricates : not Bolex factory specs, but does the job).
If film keeps bunching up after that, I can't really think of another way than dismatling the camera (viewfinder, then turret, then main inner plate) to reach that belt. Then again, that would mean a good occasion to check the rest of the mechanism and get another 40 years out of this baby !
-Boris

#4 rndfilms

rndfilms
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:56 PM

My People!

Thank you for the great information; I'm now clenching my glutes in preparation for dismantling the camera (holding breath, here we go)...

#5 Boris Belay

Boris Belay
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Other
  • Brussels, Belgium

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:07 PM

You're doing it yourself ? With a repair manual, good tools, and a steady hand, it's perfectly doable.
If you get stuck, let me know.
-B

#6 rndfilms

rndfilms
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:41 PM

Monsieur Belay- Merci Beaucoup! I opened the camera, and there was indeed some extraneous grease on the lower spring belt. I cleaned it off, and voila! My little Rex is once again King! Thanks for the words!

You're doing it yourself ? With a repair manual, good tools, and a steady hand, it's perfectly doable.
If you get stuck, let me know.
-B

#7 Boris Belay

Boris Belay
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Other
  • Brussels, Belgium

Posted 14 December 2005 - 03:15 PM

Great to know it worked ! And that people are willing to take mechanical matters into their own hands -- that's the way I see things !
If you need other tips, don't hesitate

-Boris

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc