Photo

Bauer S-715 XL Stopped Running... Help!!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tanner Almon

Tanner Almon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • P.A.

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:35 PM

Hi, about a month ago on ebay I purchased what was supposedly a "recently refurbished" Bauer S-715XL that supposedly "worked flawlessly". Anyway, as I'm sure you can by now tell, it definitely did not work flawlessly.

Anyway, here is what happened...

I was shooting my very first test roll the other day and all seemed to be going well, but at 25 ft. the camera made a really bad noise, like the film was jammed. So i opened up the camera and pulled out the cartridge (K40) and a there was a thin tear running between 3 sprokets. So anyway, I then tried running the camera and all that it did was make a slight humming sound but the wheel that advances the film definitely was not spinning. The zoom and light meter still work fine, but something with the motor is probably seroiously wrong.

As I'm sure you all know, I cannot get a refund from my fantastic Ebay salesman. He seems like a nice guy, I just wish he'd help out a guy who spent all summer saving up for that damn camera.

So I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone know anywhere I can send the camera that is in America. I emailed Du-All camera in New York. However, I live in LA, so anywhere closer would be better.

Thanks in advance for any help you may or may not have.

Also, if anyone has any horror stories about "the super 8 camera store" in Germany. They at least have a warranty, and I think it may be cheaper to get a new camera then to fix the one I have.

Best,
Tanner

#2 John Hyde

John Hyde
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Camera Operator

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:43 PM

Does anyone know anywhere I can send the camera that is in America. I emailed Du-All camera in New York. However, I live in LA, so anywhere closer would be better.

Best,
Tanner

I am fully familiar with the nightmares on Ebay. A good 50% of what I buy there has problems so I often buy from camera stores now to save the money and grief.

For what its worth, Spectra in N. Hollywood, CA (local to you) services nearly all super 8 cameras. They do good work and have a great staff of people to help. Just be aware that they are often backed up with repairs.

Good Luck!

#3 Tanner Almon

Tanner Almon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • P.A.

Posted 30 November 2005 - 02:25 PM

Cool, thanks John. I'll definitely check that out. I actually purchased my test roll from Spectra, I just didn't realize they could potentially repair Bauers.

Thanks,
Tanner

#4 Rab

Rab
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:50 AM

Hi Tanner, bad news about the Bauer after your care over first using it (I recall your earlier post about manuals in English). So on a now rather hypothetical note, what were you doing to compensate from the Bauer's ASA40 reading to ASA64 film, if that's what you were using? I'm introducing myself to a 715 too, although I'm currently away from home and won't put the first film through it for a few weeks more. An external 85B filter, which was recommended here, doesn't seem logical to me as the 715 has a TTL lightmeter and I would expect it just to compensate automatically and stay overexposed. Manual exposure override? Major potentiometer surgery, which appears on Wiki? I'd be glad to hear. Rab

#5 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:24 PM

Tanner, you might try contacting Michael Nyberg aka Super8man. He has a broken one also, it may have the same problem as yours (a broken rubber belt or idler wheel). I know there's a camera repair guy near Munich, Germany, who fixes them (but can't remember the name). Pull the covers and see if you can find any loose rubber parts, but don't dig too deep because you don't want to damage the circuit boards.

Bauer exposure meter adjustment:
http://super8wiki.co...st_S715XL_meter

Edited by Robert Hughes, 01 December 2005 - 07:27 PM.

#6 Rab

Rab
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:14 AM

Tanner, you might try contacting Michael Nyberg aka Super8man. He has a broken one also, it may have the same problem as yours (a broken rubber belt or idler wheel). I know there's a camera repair guy near Munich, Germany, who fixes them (but can't remember the name). Pull the covers and see if you can find any loose rubber parts, but don't dig too deep because you don't want to damage the circuit boards.

Bauer exposure meter adjustment:
http://super8wiki.co...st_S715XL_meter

Thanks for the Wiki link Robert. For a technical wuss like me the whole idea of digging out a bit of electronic gubbins and replacing it with something else, and hey "probably wire a 5Kohm resistor in series with it" too, is just terrifying. Has anyone on this forum (or indeed anywhere else) actually DONE this with a 715? Rab

#7 Tanner Almon

Tanner Almon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • P.A.

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:42 AM

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to say thank you for all of your advice. I'm sorry this reply has taken so long, I've been working way too much lately.

Anyway, my camera is currently at Spectra Film in Burbank, CA. The $30.00 they charge for an estimate is the best I could find, plus it's near where I live. Hopefully they may be able to figure out the problem. I actually did open the camera myself and quickly shut once I saw the millions of wires and gizmos inside of it.

Oh yeah, and I'm still shooting on K-40 for the time being. Once I move to the 64 I think I'll probably get an external light meter.

That's pretty much it I guess. Thanks for all of your help.

Take it easy,
tanner

#8 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 25 December 2005 - 09:18 PM

"Has anyone on this forum (or indeed anywhere else) actually DONE this with a 715? Rab"

That WIKI page is my camera mod. I drilled a hole thru the camera case to fit a screwdriver for adjustment and it works fine. Using an external light meter and shooting with manual exposure is also valid (it just means you lose autoexposure ability), and doesn't require camera surgery.

From my experience, the S715XL gives the sharpest pictures I've seen in Super8, due to its excellent Angenieux 6-90mm lens.

Good to hear that Spectra works on the S715XL

Edited by Robert Hughes, 25 December 2005 - 09:22 PM.

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC