Latifian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • tehran IRAN

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:44 PM

Hi
I want to buy a video camera.I searched accessible information.My first choice was HDR-FX1 but this not final.what is your choice?do you can convince me to buy it or no?do you can convince me to buy other same level camera?which one?why?
plz help me to select the best .
thankful
latifian

#2 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:59 PM

What is your primary use for the camcorder? What is your budget for buying the camcorder (not including other items such as tripod, lights, etc.)? What's your general level of video/film/photographic expertise?

Answers to questions like these will allow people to help you better. As will using your real name in a discussion among professionals.

All the best,

- Peter DeCrescenzo

Edited by Peter DeCrescenzo, 29 November 2005 - 03:00 PM.

#3 Latifian

Latifian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • tehran IRAN

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:33 PM

My budget approximate is 3500$.I use this for taking decument picture or make short film in goverment mood.I want to take the best quality with existing conditions for example: my limited budget.
in the meantime i am the graduate of cinematography.
latifian

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 November 2005 - 03:46 PM

This is one of those "best quality for less money" camera questions. Unfortunately, more money tends to buy you more quality in a video camera....

It also comes down to whether you want features like progressive-scan (like 24P), or interchangeable lenses, although at your budget, there aren't many cameras to choose from.

In consumer HD/HDV, you've got the Sony cameras, the JVC ones, and the upcoming Canon HDV camera and the Panasonic HVX200. But I'm not sure if any of them are below $3500. Only the JVC and Panasonic do true progressive-scan, although rumors are that the Canon will do a pretty high-quality simulation of 24P that is more or less the same. With the Sony, you are limited to interlaced-scan capture, but it may be the most most suited to you (i.e. most affordable.) Plus you may like the 1080i image.

I'd wait to see the Canon before making up my mind.

#5 Mr. Macgregor

Mr. Macgregor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 November 2005 - 04:19 PM

If you cannot spend more than $3500, stay with the FX1.

It has the best price/quality ratio right now. It is not true progressive, but it does the job well for its price, and once you are on DVD no one can tell this was shoot interlaced. Forget about 24 cineframe mode. It doesn´t work. So either you buy the expensive Z1 that can shoot 25 fps, or buy the FX1, or stay at 30 fps with the american version.

The JVC is not good at all, even if it had the same prize as a Z1. Sure it is progressive, but images do not look better in resolution than a Z1 using CF25. Colors are bad, and lense is definetely not good. Batteries last 40 minutes. If you want longer life batteries you will have to pay a LOT more money.

Canon XL H1 is great. Resolution. Colors. Endless image settings. Maybe you don´t like the lense, which works as the old XL1 and XL2. The best camera for me. But it costs a lot more.

The upcomming HVX from Panasonic. Almost no one has seen footage. Very good camera on the paper. As you know it does not record on HDV tapes. You have to buy their P2 cards. And you will need a lot of them. And they are quite expensive. So in the end you might be:
- renting the cards
- having spend more money in cards than in the camera itself

So, at the end, the camera costs $6000, but you spent $11,000 in the whole set. Still it is a good price for its quality, but this is no longer cheap. And when you think that for $3,000 you can have a FX1 that once it is on DVD it won´t look too distant... :unsure:

But, it records in DVCpro HD which is a quite better format than HDV. So this is a great camera if you are shooting shorftilms or commercials or anything that you do not need to record long shots and have access to a portable hard drive or laptop.

I personally think that people should not buy cameras that go beyond $6000 unless they are shooting almost every single day of the year, it is usually a better option to rent the equipment. That gives you the opportunity to use the lastest tools. And camera is not the only piece of equipment. Think about lights, transportation, crew, editing...

I hope it helps...

#6 SpikeUM

SpikeUM
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • NYC

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:01 PM

Before you buy though I would do A LOT of research on whats out there by hitting as many forums as can find.
I heard the JVC has a line through the image because of dual sensor recording one image or something like that. And the sonys are prone to random audio problems that you cant hear until after dumping the footage. I havnt had first person experience in these but I held off buying anything until the HVX comes out because of what I have read. Hope that helps.

Visual Products

Tai Audio

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC