Interview in Cinema

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Markus

Markus
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:25 AM

Hi,

we're going to do an interview this weekend. And it's the first time that I'm solely responsible for the lighting, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

We're shooting MiniDV. The Interview will take place in a screening room in a local cinema. And the director wants to put the interviewee on different seats throughout the interview.

What's the simplest lighting setup that would look good? Should I look for light continuity after each change of seats or should I light every seat on it's own terms?

Thanks for every reply!

Markus

#2 Jeremy

Jeremy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:02 PM

I'm a little confused. Is it a locked off shot with the intervewee jump cutting around the room? If that's the case, then try to keep the lighting consistent. If it's camera moves and different set-ups, then by all means do your best to make each different set up look as good as possible.

Lighting-wise, concentrate on the person being interviewed, and hopefully if what he's saying is interesting enough, the audience won't notice minor changes in the background lighting.

If you give us more details and specifics, I could probably add a bit more.

Good luck with the project!

#3 Markus

Markus
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:16 AM

I'm a little confused. Is it a locked off shot with the intervewee jump cutting around the room? If that's the case, then try to keep the lighting consistent. If it's camera moves and different set-ups, then by all means do your best to make each different set up look as good as possible.

Lighting-wise, concentrate on the person being interviewed, and hopefully if what he's saying is interesting enough, the audience won't notice minor changes in the background lighting.

If you give us more details and specifics, I could probably add a bit more.

Good luck with the project!

Yes, the interview is supposed to have different setups for the different seats. Lighting the person interviewed shouldn't be a big problem. I guess I'll just use a simple key/fill - setup.
But I've got a problem with the background lighting. Because the screening room is very dark and we won't have much lighting equipment (Probably just a few Halogen500W --> I forgot how you call them in the U.S.), I can't light much of the room. So we would have to come in closer with the camera. But if we do that the director's idea of changing seats is obsolete, because you wouldn't notice any difference.
If we go in closer and we see just a few seats around him, how should I light those few seats?

Btw, learning to light is fun! Thanks for your help!

#4 Markus

Markus
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:21 AM

Update: We got three Halogen500Watt and one Halogen1000Watt.

#5 Alex Haspel

Alex Haspel
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • vienna, austria

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:17 AM

Update: We got three Halogen500Watt and one Halogen1000Watt.

hallo markus

um was für eine art lampen handelt es sich?

um irgendwas halbwegs fokusierbarbares wie blondes? oder was frensnellinsiges?

oder aber sprechen wir hier gar über baustellenlampen?

Edited by haspel, 02 December 2005 - 10:20 AM.

CineLab

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

CineTape