need advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kumar

kumar
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:00 AM

hi everyone.
i am going to shoot one feature movie which is my first movie. movie based on a real story about rowdy(gang leader). i need suggestion about

1)any hollywood movie for reference.
2) what type of lighting
3) what type of stock
4)what type of camera movement
5)i have lighting pagage folowing, 4kwpar -2,4kw-2,10bank-2,4bank-2,575-2.,senior-2,junior-2.
6) i am prefering for harsh lighting with mutt colour for what type of stock will be suitable.(filters)

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:14 AM

i need suggestion about
1)any hollywood movie for reference.
2) what type of lighting
3) what type of stock
4)what type of camera movement
5)i have lighting pagage folowing, 4kwpar -2,4kw-2,10bank-2,4bank-2,575-2.,senior-2,junior-2.
6) i am prefering for harsh lighting with mutt colour for what type of stock will be suitable.(filters)

Not to be discouraging, but if you need answers for all those questions, I'm not sure you are ready to shoot a feature! It's like a painter saying he's going to paint some woman's portrait, but wants someone to tell him what colors to use, what type of paint, what size canvas, what composition, etc.

Surely you have some ideas of what movies have the look you envisage? What types of camera movements you want to use? (based on the script, which we haven't read so we can't answer that question.)

And is this Super-16 or 35mm? What aspect ratio? Is it for 35mm print projection? Or for video transfer only? Will you do a D.I.? Are these day scenes? Night scenes? Interiors? Exteriors?

We can give you technical advice to help you solve a creative problem, but you'll have to supply more of the creative ideas here.

Why not start with one question after giving us more details as to what you're trying to accomplish creatively?

#3 kumar

kumar
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:50 AM

thanks david> .

i am more expecting creative side that means , reference movies. i can pick some idea from my style. moreover i am going to use. arri 111 camera, kowa lens,hrzoom, 35mm formatt,anamorphic scope.not digital intermidiate, budget is low. i HAVING LESS NIGHT EFFECT SCENE. /IN MY MIND. I NEED MUTT COLORS LIKE AMBER TONE WITH LOWKEY ADDED LITTLE HARSH LIGHTING.I LIKE GRAIN.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 December 2005 - 02:54 AM

The most muted film stocks are Kodak Expression 500T and Fuji F-400T. You can further mute the colors in a variety of ways, like foggy diffusion filters (ProMist, GlimmerGlass, Fogs, Smoque, LowCon, UltraCon, etc.), or flashing, or overexposing & pull-processing, using smoke on the set, etc. The amber tone can be done with warming filters (like Antique Suede, Gold, Coral, 81EF, Chocolate, Tobacco, etc.) or with gels on your lights or just with timing in post.

The early college scenes in "A Beautiful Mind" were shot on Fuji F-400T flashed with yellow light.

I'd also take a look at "Heaven's Gate", which used smoke & flashing.

#5 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:57 AM

Don't you plan to have a DoP on your film ? You should talk to him about all this...

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

CineTape

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC