3 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:55 PM

I am having my Arriflex 16SR converted to Super 16 and it will then have a PL mount instead of the Bayonet mount it currently has. I know I will eventually have my Zeiss 10-100 T2 lens converted to Super 16, but for now, I would like to just get a Bayonet to PL adapter for it and use it from 25mm up to 100mm.

Does anyone have experience with Bayonet to PL adapters and have any advice on which are the good ones and which are the ones to avoid?

Thanks,
-Tim Carroll

#2 Andy Sparaco SOC

Andy Sparaco SOC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 203 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago and most airline lounges

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:24 PM

The P+S Technic PL is excellent. The Russian ones are inconsistent some oK some bad. THe Visaul Products PL mount is marginal. Cinematechnic in Miami may be making there mount again soon. It is almost identical to the P+S plus removes the Bay for a complete conversion. You cannot just slap these adaptors on you need to have the flange distance checked and adjusted with shims if necessary. That requires a lens projector.

#3 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:52 PM

Thanks Andy,

That is the thing that always concerned me about the adapters. If the flange focal distance has to be accurate to five thousandths of a millimeter, how can you just slap a PL adapter on the lens and expect it to be right on. So what you are saying is that whatever adapter I choose, I still need to send the lens and the adapter to my lens guy (I don't have a lens projector) and he would have to adjust it?

Thanks for clearing that up.
-Tim

#4 Andy Sparaco SOC

Andy Sparaco SOC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 203 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago and most airline lounges

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:45 PM

Thanks Andy,

That is the thing that always concerned me about the adapters. If the flange focal distance has to be accurate to five thousandths of a millimeter, how can you just slap a PL adapter on the lens and expect it to be right on. So what you are saying is that whatever adapter I choose, I still need to send the lens and the adapter to my lens guy (I don't have a lens projector) and he would have to adjust it?

Thanks for clearing that up.
-Tim

If you dont, you may think a perfectly good lens is soft. I think it is one reason why some folks don't get sharp results in Super 16. They do not pay attention to the fine details and slap any old lens on there camera. The PL lens mount really does the job interms of holding proper backfocus but only if properly adjusted and shimmed.

Make sure the PL conversion on the camera is also properly adjusted. They work as a unit

Edited by asparaco, 03 December 2005 - 09:53 PM.

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Visual Products

Abel Cine

The Slider