5 replies to this topic

#1 Evan Cox

Evan Cox
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Director

Posted 04 December 2005 - 04:28 PM

Is there a difference between 8mm and Super-8, or are they the same thing? My main question would be: would Super-8 film work in my Yashica 8 U-matic 8mm camera? Also, does happen to know by chance how many feet of film this camera takes? Please help.

#2 Erdwolf_TVL

Erdwolf_TVL
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 04 December 2005 - 04:41 PM

Is there a difference between 8mm and Super-8, or are they the same thing? My main question would be: would Super-8 film work in my Yashica 8 U-matic 8mm camera? Also, does happen to know by chance how many feet of film this camera takes? Please help.

No, Super 8mm won't work in this camera.

You would need to find some "Double 8mm" film to use your camera.

Though not as readily available as Super-8, this film is still available from specialized retailers.

(There's a wealth of information to this regard available on-line.)

More than likely, this camera takes 25 feet of film, which is split in half after processing to yield 50 feet of projectable footage.

Edited by Erdwolf_TVL, 04 December 2005 - 04:47 PM.

#3 Machado

Machado
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 December 2005 - 05:19 PM

The camera you speak of is a double roll 8mm camera. It uses 25ft of "16mm wide" film and is run through the camera twice. Note that this film is not the same as 16mm, its perforated differently.

Double run 8mm Is run once in one direction exposing only an 8mm width and then taken out of the camera filpeed over and run once more to exposed the second half of the total 16mm width. After processing, this film is split in two and joined together to make 50ft of film.

Regular 8mm cameras are nice because most use decent d-mount prime lenses. That said, I would like to suggest you consider super8mm over 8mm for the added benifit of frame area as well as better equipment and selection of film stocks (vision2 neg stocks). I believe someone out there re perforates 16mm into 8mm so perhaps these film stocks can be found, however getting them for super8 remains easier to do..

#4 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:58 AM

The camera you speak of is a double roll 8mm camera. It uses 25ft of "16mm wide" film and is run through the camera twice. Note that this film is not the same as 16mm, its perforated differently.

Well it is the same, it just has twice as many perforations. (that was the whole idea, it was an easy format to create). You can run double 8 in a 16mm camera. (If it got slit in half by the lab you'd be in for a surprise !)

Double Super 8 of course was 16mm wide with the S8 perfs which are different.

-Sam

#5 Machado

Machado
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 December 2005 - 03:31 PM

Sam, Your correct but I didn't want to confuse him further. Thats why I explained it that way.

You may be suprised by how many people think a double run 8mm camera will take 16mm film when they first see them. I wanted to make sure he did not to make this connection at all.

The odds are he doesn't have access to a re-perferating machine, So for all intents and purposes, double run 8mm is not 16mm film to him.Also, it would never be worth running 25ft of 8mm film in a 16mm camera price or time wise..

#6 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:02 PM

You may be suprised by how many people think a double run 8mm camera will take 16mm film when they first see them. I wanted to make sure he did not to make this connection at all.

The odds are he doesn't have access to a re-perferating machine, So for all intents and purposes, double run 8mm is not 16mm film to him.Also, it would never be worth running 25ft of 8mm film in a 16mm camera price or time wise..

Running 16mm film perforated 2R-2994 in a Regular-8 camera will result in the camera being the "re-perforating machine". :rolleyes: :lol:

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

The Slider

Visual Products

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

CineLab