5 replies to this topic

#1 Izreal

Izreal
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 December 2005 - 04:17 PM

Hi, I just bought a Canon 814 AZ (I know it's not as good as the XLS, but hey, you gotta start somewhere) and was wondering could I use any 58mm size filter and Wide Angle Converter with this camera? What about a Matte Box, where could I get accessories like this for my camera?

#2 Erdwolf_TVL

Erdwolf_TVL
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:36 PM

Hi, I just bought a Canon 814 AZ (I know it's not as good as the XLS, but hey, you gotta start somewhere) and was wondering could I use any 58mm size filter and Wide Angle Converter with this camera? What about a Matte Box, where could I get accessories like this for my camera?

Hey, I got an 814 AZ. Not as feature-packed or as quiet as the XLS, but rock-solid and great fun ;)

Any 58mm filter will work. And in theory, a anamorphic-adapter.

Just remember that you are still working with Super-8, which is not the world's most sophisticated film format. Rule of thumb : don't spend more on your accessories than on your camera, unless you intend to buy a better cam that will be compatible with it later on.

Edited by Erdwolf_TVL, 05 December 2005 - 05:37 PM.

#3 Izreal

Izreal
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:48 PM

Hey, I got an 814 AZ. Not as feature-packed or as quiet as the XLS, but rock-solid and great fun ;)

Any 58mm filter will work. And in theory, a anamorphic-adapter.

Just remember that you are still working with Super-8, which is not the world's most sophisticated film format. Rule of thumb : don't spend more on your accessories than on your camera, unless you intend to buy a better cam that will be compatible with it later on.

Thanks for the reply

#4 Matt Sandstrom

Matt Sandstrom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Director
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:22 AM

the front element rotates as you pull focus, so you can't really put a matte box on it, nor an anamorphic adapter. a wide angle converter should work fine though.

/matt

Edited by mattias, 08 December 2005 - 05:23 AM.

#5 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:11 PM

.... anytime you put a new filter on a camera lens you can check for vignetting by pointing the camera directly at a light table. Look through the lens with the aperature wide open and watch the corners of the frame as you close down. You will be able to see where the filter begins to vignette your image. Lower profile filters can be purchased at a premium.

Edit - vignetting from a filter is usually only problematic at wide focal lengths....maybe it won't be a problem at all, but just in case it is easy to check before you shoot.

hope this helps,

Steve

Edited by steve hyde, 08 December 2005 - 12:14 PM.

#6 Izreal

Izreal
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:58 PM

Thanks, guys.
Would a 77mm wide lens adapter with a 58mm-77mm step up ring be too much for lens on my 814 AZ? Or, would I have to just test and see?

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products