#1 paula s.

paula s.

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:20 PM

I was shooting transparencies the other day with tea candles (about 10 of them) the camera was about a foot away from the transparencies and I was convinced we weren't going to get anything on the film because the light meter wasn't getting any readings...long story short shooting at f1.4 we got a very clear image that was almost too bright...

it got me thinking about foot candles. is there a candle locked up somewhere in a dark room that was originally used to measure foot candles or can you measure a foot candle from any old candle?

-paula

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 05 December 2005 - 08:37 PM

I was shooting transparencies the other day with tea candles (about 10 of them) the camera was about a foot away from the transparencies and I was convinced we weren't going to get anything on the film because the light meter wasn't getting any readings...long story short shooting at f1.4 we got a very clear image that was almost too bright...

it got me thinking about foot candles. is there a candle locked up somewhere in a dark room that was originally used to measure foot candles or can you measure a foot candle from any old candle?

-paula

Once upon a time, light measurement was actually based on comparison to REAL candles. A "foot candle" was the light level one foot away from a "standard candle". Today, standards are maintained by national or international standards bodies like NIST, ANSI, and CIE, and are either based on unchanging physical phenomena or a "physical" standard which is used to calibrate others.

#3 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:05 PM

I was tought at school that the candle as a unit was worth 0.98 average "candle light", (we call "bougie" in french), that was an older unit even... :)

#4 Solomons De Valois

Solomons De Valois

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:16 AM

clicky clicky

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC