#1 gavinnorthover

gavinnorthover

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:16 AM

I'm going in to a grade a short shot on Varicam soon to digitally grade in a post house with Final touch.

We are looking at getting a print to 35mm in the near future, do we need to get a seperate grade done with this in mind or would the grade done in HD suffice?

Thanks

Gavin

#2 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:47 PM

I'm going in to a grade a short shot on Varicam soon to digitally grade in a post house with Final touch.

We are looking at getting a print to 35mm in the near future, do we need to get a seperate grade done with this in mind or would the grade done in HD suffice?

Thanks

Gavin

I would think that two would be the way to go. I know it would cost more, but maybe not quite twice as much. I would put the priority on the filmout grade, only because that is where it will cost the most. So put your money up on the big screen. The video grade could be done afterwards if need be or if the funding is available.

Have you considered shooting super 16 and doing a blow up from that? If it is a straight show with pretty basic edits and not a lot of FX, then an optical blow up will be cheaper and better looking than a blowup from a HD source.

chris

#3 Frank Barrera

Frank Barrera
  • Sustaining Members
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:00 PM

the feature that I shot last year RUNAWAY with the varicam was color-corrected by Tom Brady at Laser Pacific in LA. We have yet to go to a film out but he told us that they have some "new software" that will allow us to not do another color correction session. the program allegedly extrapolates the work we did in the tape to tape to fully utilize the 35mm neg. like i said- we haven't done it yet. probably this spring. call them up and ask about this software.

good luck

Frank B

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Opal

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly