#1 Eugene Lehnert

Eugene Lehnert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Other
  • New York, NY

Posted 08 December 2005 - 02:37 PM

Does anyone know of a place that would be close to NYC that can transfer Super16 to HD?

I finished a short and I originally wanted to have it blown up to 35mm. But, I just got a new job at a post-house and I have access to a Panasonic 720p deck and a system capable of handling the video, but no teleci. So I wanted to transfer my film to DVDCPRO HD and create my master in HD. Then I would be able to dub to HDCAM possibly or transfer the HD to film at a place in Texas... dvfilm.com.

So, to save money, I wanted to have my film transferred outside of NYC hoping I could get a slightly better deal. I would like to perform a supervised transfer. I know they will do this for me at Bono but I wanted to be there when they transfer it.

Can I get more latitude during the transfer from film? Or is it just the same as getting a best light and performing my own color correction here at work?

We have FCP 5 and we are using the Cinewave card.

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:12 PM

Can I get more latitude during the transfer from film? Or is it just the same as getting a best light and performing my own color correction here at work?

Hi,

I would say yes if using a telecine like a Spirit with da Vinci for grading.

Stephen

#3 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:43 PM

Does anyone know of a place that would be close to NYC that can transfer Super16 to HD?

I finished a short and I originally wanted to have it blown up to 35mm. But, I just got a new job at a post-house and I have access to a Panasonic 720p deck and a system capable of handling the video, but no teleci. So I wanted to transfer my film to DVDCPRO HD and create my master in HD. Then I would be able to dub to HDCAM possibly or transfer the HD to film at a place in Texas... dvfilm.com.

So, to save money, I wanted to have my film transferred outside of NYC hoping I could get a slightly better deal. I would like to perform a supervised transfer. I know they will do this for me at Bono but I wanted to be there when they transfer it.

I would get the best telecine you can afford. Outside of NYC there are many,many places, but you may find that you can get a great deal in town because it is more competitive. My suggested work path would be: use Bono or someone like them, try www.NationalBoston.com. (They have a Shadow and will output to any format you want, even to hard drive as uncompressed HD. I know nothing about your project or your DP, but my project and DP got me a deal at National. So give them a call and who knows what?) Once you have stuff back on hard drive, make your offfline clips DVCPRO HD and out put those to tape as a back up. Edit, grade and finish in DVCPRO HD. When the money comes along, you can do an online with the uncompressed stuff or even a film out. The uncompressed will look much better than DVCPRO HD or HDCAM, both of these formats are compressed and you will loose color info. Besides, it cost the same at dvfilm whether it comes off a tape or hard drive, so go for the best you can. Yes the flat grade will give you all the info you need to do a full grade. I would use some other program than FCP for the final grade. It is alright for simple adjustments, but not much more. Good luck.

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies