Shooting suggestions..Varicam.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Deppe

Richard Deppe
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:16 AM

Next week I will be coming into a shoot somewhat cold having never used the Varicam before....
Was wondering if anyone has experience with this camera and would be willing to make some suggestions regards shooting a deck of cards falling..... you know when cards are built into a tower, and then fall down...
the producer wants to be able to slow-mo the finished piece in post, and whilst I can certainly see in my minds eye how I would want it to look... CU of cards crashing to the table in slomo-maybe some dust lifted up slightly, crashing sound effects... I am not entirely sure how to get it.... Any thoughts.Thanks in advance.
Rick

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:03 PM

Next week I will be coming into a shoot somewhat cold having never used the Varicam before....
Was wondering if anyone has experience with this camera and would be willing to make some suggestions regards shooting a deck of cards falling..... you know when cards are built into a tower, and then fall down...
the producer wants to be able to slow-mo the finished piece in post, and whilst I can certainly see in my minds eye how I would want it to look... CU of cards crashing to the table in slomo-maybe some dust lifted up slightly, crashing sound effects... I am not entirely sure how to get it.... Any thoughts.Thanks in advance.
Rick

If you shoot in 60p (59.97fps)- which that camera will do- that is half speed slo-mo in a 29.97fps NLE timeline. If you are editing in a 23.976fps timeline it is 20% slower still. I'm not an editor so there may be some finagling involved.

#3 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 11 December 2005 - 06:44 PM

The VariCam can photograph at 60 FPS. It works wells. My editor recommends putting different frame rates on different tapes as the editing systems have trouble dealing with different frame rates on same tape.

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Opal

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly