#1 freddie bonfanti

freddie bonfanti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Gaffer
  • LONDON

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:10 AM

why dps decide to push film? if they need more brightness why cant they get more lights in?

freddy bonfanti

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 09 December 2005 - 10:30 AM

why dps decide to push film? if they need more brightness why cant they get more lights in?

freddy bonfanti

Sometimes, it may be impractical to have enough light to achieve normal exposure at the rated Exposure Index. So a push process makes the negative a bit denser, so it intercuts better with normally exposed and processed negative. (Push-1 does NOT give a true one stop increase in real speed, but rather makes a negative that is underexposed by one stop print/transfer like a normally exposed and processed negative. Some shadow detail is lost with underexposure, even if push process is used.).

Push processing is also used for the "look" of higher contrast and graininess.

#3 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:27 AM

freddy bonfanti

Hi,

Increasing light by 1 stop doubles the amount of light needed. Please Mr Producer can I double my lighting budget otherwise the lab will have to push the film 1 stop! LOL

Stephen

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:17 PM

Hi,

Increasing light by 1 stop doubles the amount of light needed. Please Mr Producer can I double my lighting budget otherwise the lab will have to push the film 1 stop! LOL

Stephen

More often than not you don't push film solely because you don't have enough light. generally, someone has made a decision that pushing a given stock will yield the right look for the picture. The bonus of that can be a smaller lighting budget.

#5 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 10 December 2005 - 04:53 PM

Hey,

Like Stephen says. Also, its not just that you need twice the cans or bigger cans, you need twice the juice and make twice the heat. Large night interiors and night exteriors are common situations where push can save you a lot of headaches. The push means you need less light to fill those big spaces and can then use less light for the foreground. Since those situations can already suck all the available juice, avoiding twice the load in juice can be a life saver.

#6 dd3stp233

dd3stp233
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 December 2005 - 01:30 AM

Pushing film will usually make it look grainer, which a DP may want to use to create a look or effect in a particular scene.

#7 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 December 2005 - 11:18 AM

I routinely push my fav negs 7245 & 7274 with virtually no grain penalty on the 45. The 7274 maybe but I think I may actually get a slight sharpness increase also. (Jay Holben noted this also in his tests published in AC magazine, May 2000)

This is hotter development pushing. I can rate 2/3 stop higher EI for 1 stop push and get a good printer light, * but often with the 74 don't compensate the EI rating at all.

-Sam

* wondering how much longer I'll be using the term "printer light"............

Glidecam

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Tai Audio