Using the Elmo 16 CL projector for home telecine

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JonathanSheneman

JonathanSheneman
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:21 PM

I'm considering purchasing one of the Elmo five blade flickerless projectors for home transfering of 16mm b/w negative film that I also process with G3 tank (amazing results and it costs me about sixty cents for 100ft vs. $16-20 at a lab). Where do I get an adapter so I can mount a dv camera on the projector lens and is it possible to convert the negative image to a positive one during telecine? Thanks.

#2 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 10 December 2005 - 05:12 PM

Hey,

There are a few problems that you will have to solve on this trick. One is a macro lens that will fill the CCD with the projector's gate. If your DV cam has macro then try it on a ruler and see if it will get that tight. If not, you will have to get a cam like an XL series that you can EF adapt with a macro lens. My XL2 has that and will only macro down to a one inch frame that suits my 35mm conversion needs.

Another issue is sync and flicker. 20 years ago, I had an Elmo with variable speed control. I projected the image on a screen and taped it with a video camera. However, the projector had to be cranked down to 15 FPS or up to 30 FPS. If I had a film cam like a CP that could shoot at 30FPS, then the time difference would have been solved.

Canon techs told me that the flicker feature on the XL1 could be set to solve the flicker problem of this kind of rig, but I haven't tried it.

The XL2 can shoot at 24 FPS and does the pull down in camera for you. Then you anly have to drag your finger on the projector works to move the frame line out of the XL2s frame. Be careful where you do that if you cherish your digits. The easiest rig would be projection on a good screen with capture by an XL2 with ordianry lens. But, it won't look very good. I would only consider it for DV workprints. That's really a matter of taste. You might like it.

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Visual Products

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets