6 replies to this topic

#1 Jay Cowley

Jay Cowley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:52 PM

I'm hoping to take a shot of two people sitting at a table, and circle around both of them a few times.

How can i do a good job lighting, while hiding any lights and stands. I do have it set up so any surroundings around the table can be completely dark (the table is going to be in the middle of a dark gymnasium)

#2 Evan Phan

Evan Phan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:03 PM

If you need to do continuous circling around the subjects in one shot, you probably need some sort of overhead lighting, such as a softboxes or a butterfly net overhead with lights shooting into it. One end of the table will have stands, but will still allow you to move just about 360 degrees. You can keep a chinaball near the camera to fill as you move around. (You'd be hard pressed to make it look good using a light that has no diffusion)

Another possibility is, if the background is dark enough you might be able to set your stands behind the talent far away and very high up so it doesn't show up in the shot... but you would obviously need quite powerful lights, and you would also be dealing with lens flares.

Of course, if you are going to intercut, then you can just set up lights normally with enough room to circle halfway before starting the next shot.

In whichever case, make sure to use black wrap and barn doors to keep all unneccesary light from spilling onto the surrounding area. (note: without any lights on the backgrounds at all, your characters and their table will look like they're limbo space, surrounded by black.)

#3 Matt Sandstrom

Matt Sandstrom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Director
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:01 AM

yes, overhead lighting and a kino or china ball above the camera sounds like a plan. make sure you flag or scrim the fill so it doesn't get too hot on the foreground characters.

/matt

#4 Patrick Casey

Patrick Casey
  • Sustaining Members
  • 24 posts
  • Producer

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:35 AM

One idea (if you really want a true black background) is to build a little black-box of your own with stands and black cloth. That way you can hide the light stands behind the cloth. It will also help you when recording the dialogue (cutting down the reverb).

#5 Timothy Riese

Timothy Riese
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Other
  • Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 11 December 2005 - 03:40 PM

I'm hoping to take a shot of two people sitting at a table, and circle around both of them a few times.

How can i do a good job lighting, while hiding any lights and stands. I do have it set up so any surroundings around the table can be completely dark (the table is going to be in the middle of a dark gymnasium)

If the room is large enough you can hang a chinese lattern right over the table. If it's close enough to the actors and far enough away from your walls your exposure for the actors should force a high f-stop and the fall off from the light would be to weak for exposure on anything else. Plus a chinese lattern is light enoguh to just tape to the cieling or you can hang it from a cord from the rafters.

#6 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 11 December 2005 - 06:37 PM

Use a China Ball right over the table. Use duveteen to skirt the ball.

#7 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 13 December 2005 - 04:13 PM

if you want to go differnt way you can shot 2-par64 (table size?) strat down and read the buonce from the table as the key light you will need bright map.

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport