• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Edge

Robert Edge
  • Sustaining Members
  • 401 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:33 PM

This morning I called a company that sells Denecke products in order to get quotes on two of their time code generators. The distributor was unable to answer a technical question about the difference between the two products, so I sent an e-mail to Denecke.

To my considerable surprise, I got an answer about 15 minutes later. The response meant that I had to do some further research, and might need some clarification, so I replied asking whether they would prefer that I communicate by e-mail or phone if I needed further information.

I received a response from the same person who answered my initial e-mail, itself an exraordinay event, and I got his response within about 40 minutes. Here's what he said: "Hi. Please feel free to contact us anytime in whatever form you prefer."

Now this is rather different from my experience trying to get a quote, let alone information, on a competing product. An e-mail to an American distributor went completely unanswered and an e-mail to a European distributor took four days for a response.

I figure that maybe Denecke is the company that I should be giving my money to if their product will meet my needs. They seem to believe in a revolutionay concept called customer and product support.

It would be interesting to compile a list of companies that share this revolutionary idea. Any nominees?

#2 Charles Haine

Charles Haine
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Colorist
  • New York

Posted 26 December 2005 - 10:18 AM

I've got to say I whole-heartedly endorse this effort. Most of what gets repeated (in this industry and elsewhere) are negative reports on various things, people, rental houses, etc.

Melrose Mac, here in LA, though only a marginally film-related company, blew me away recently. I had called ahead to see if they had a replacement drive for my computer in stock, they said they did, it sold out by the time I arrived, so they delivered one to my house, free of charge, later that day.

It's probably %5 more expensive to shop there rather than go online to get similar stuff, but with service like that, it seems worth it.

chuck haine

#3 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 26 December 2005 - 11:41 AM

I figure that maybe Denecke is the company that I should be giving my money to if their product will meet my needs. They seem to believe in a revolutionay concept called customer and product support.

It would be interesting to compile a list of companies that share this revolutionary idea. Any nominees?

I can think of four companies that fit this bill off the top of my head:

1) G-Tech, they make firewire hard drives, one of which I bought for my FCP system. Very prompt customer service response and very knowledgeable people.
http://www.g-raid.com/

2) Cavision, Chinese-made matte boxes which are much cheaper than Chrosziel for instance, as well as follow-focus, filters, etc.
http://www.cavision.com/main.html

3) 16x9, Inc., who distribute all sorts of stuff and are extremely helpful.
http://www.16x9inc.c...at/169store.cgi

4) True Lens Services, British-made matte boxes.
http://www.truelens.co.uk/matte/

The opposite side of the coin would be Sony, Panasonic, Canon. In other words, most of the companies from whom you really NEED the support when you try to contact them. They generally pipe you into a swirling vortex of despair known as the "call center" from which you may or may not ever return.

#4 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:57 PM

A company like Denecke is usually just a couple of people at most, so service and support is a direct function of the type of individual behind the helm. The founder of Denecke passed away a little while ago, but I believe it is still a family business.

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

rebotnix Technologies