Put a sticker on my camera- must get goo off

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JonathanSheneman

JonathanSheneman
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:34 PM

I put a kodak sticker on the side of my K3 - I've since removed but the area still has gooey residue on the surface (surface has tiny bubbley relief). What solvent can I use to remove all residue? Thanks.

#2 Trevor Greenfield

Trevor Greenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Director
  • North Idaho

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:32 PM

Rubbing Alcohol?

#3 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:56 PM

In the US there are products like Goo-Gone and Goof-Off that are citrus based and do an excellent job of removing such residue without causing damage. They are available from places such as Home Depot or Lowes. I use them to clean shipping labels off my cases .

#4 LovinItAll

LovinItAll

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:02 AM

WD-40 works miracles! Put a little on a cotton rag and the "goo" will wipe right off.

Acetone or lighter fluid also work.

#5 Preston Herrick

Preston Herrick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Producer
  • Washington

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:59 AM

Use Goo-Gone. Good stuff for a variety of goo removal. Goof-off is a much stronger petroleum based solvent. I used it to remove undercoating on my project car.

#6 Daniel Stigler

Daniel Stigler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Berlin, Germany

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:58 PM

Acetone or lighter fluid also work.

Acetone is very agressive and will also remove or at least damage the paint. WD40 is a much better choice.

#7 Erdwolf_TVL

Erdwolf_TVL
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 13 December 2005 - 04:08 PM

I put a kodak sticker on the side of my K3 - I've since removed but the area still has gooey residue on the surface (surface has tiny bubbley relief). What solvent can I use to remove all residue? Thanks.

Try heating the goo with a hair-dryer and rubbing it off with a soft but non-disintegrating object.

Hands work, but it can be painful!

#8 Trevor Greenfield

Trevor Greenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Director
  • North Idaho

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:07 PM

The heat may not be such a good idea because the bumpy covering they used on the sides of the K3 is held on with glue... and glue is not one of the Russian's strong points.

#9 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 14 December 2005 - 01:30 AM

Use Goo-Gone.

#10 Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 December 2005 - 02:22 AM

Pure peppermint oil is excellent and doesn't normally attack paint, smells pretty good, and a couple of drops on a handkerchief will do wonders for a blocked nose too :)

This is particularly recommended for getting adhesive goo off Perspex (Lucite) and similar shiny plastic surfaces.

Eucalyptus oil is cheaper but it isn't as fast-acting, although it will also do the job.

#11 Mike Crane

Mike Crane
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 December 2005 - 11:47 PM

Use some sulfuric acid and sand paper. Works wonders. :lol:

#12 JonathanSheneman

JonathanSheneman
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:13 PM

You know what Mr.Crane? Thanks for ruining my camera and my life. I tried your suggestion of sulfuric acid and sandpaper thinking that it might work and it did I guess but it also burned a hole through the side of my camera plus I now have severe 3rd degree burns on my hands. :(

I guess I could have read the other posts or realized that happy smile on the end of your post might have meant you where joking but should I have to?

You f-cked me bad Mr.Crane.

#13 LovinItAll

LovinItAll

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 December 2005 - 01:34 PM

You know what Mr.Crane? Thanks for ruining my camera and my life. I tried your suggestion of sulfuric acid and sandpaper thinking that it might work and it did I guess but it also burned a hole through the side of my camera plus I now have severe 3rd degree burns on my hands. :(

I guess I could have read the other posts or realized that happy smile on the end of your post might have meant you where joking but should I have to?

You f-cked me bad Mr.Crane.

I assume this was a joke, too. No one in their right mind would break out a bottle of sulfuric acid and start working on their camera body.

Seriously, Goo-B-Gone (or whatever you call it - I have used various "goo removers") is okay, but WD-40 is BY FAR the best substance I have ever used to remove sticker residue. Great for removing "permanent markers" like Sharpies, too (assuming the markings are on some type of plastic or glass).

Don't use it for a "personal lubricant", though. The fumes ruin the mood! :)

#14 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:36 AM

[Seriously, Goo-B-Gone (or whatever you call it - I have used various "goo removers") is okay, but WD-40 is BY FAR the best substance I have ever used to remove sticker residue. Great for removing "permanent markers" like Sharpies, too (assuming the markings are on some type of plastic or glass].

I've been using mineral spirits for years to take tape and sticker residue off of equipment. It works slower than Goo-B-Gone (and 3m's equivalent product) but is safe on most materials and slow can very much be a virtue working with valuable gear. If the residue is real old and hard, I soak a couple layers of cotton cloth with mineral spirits and let it sit on the residue for a while, even putting a piece of aluminum foil over that to keep it from drying out. I've used this technique extensively on high-dollar test equipment that makes film and video gear look cheap!

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

CineLab

CineTape

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

The Slider