LT-BH900 for on-set on board monitor & color

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jeremyg

jeremyg
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2005 - 05:17 PM

I know this monitor is really set up to work with a varicam, but we are looking for an onset LCD monitor that can be powered by the camera or anton bauer gold mounts to be used for putting on a dolly, and also for color critical viewing. Of course, we are shooting with the SDX900 and were wondering how this monitor looks in 16:9 SD, as opposed to HD. It'd be nice to have this monitor as dual duty framing and color and not have to haul a heavy CRT along with us as we travel extensively. I looked at the BT-1700, but it seems that this monitor doesn't perform too well with SD signals, and is more of an eye candy monitor for HD.

Can the 900 do well for us? Are there any other recommendations out there?

Thanks for your time.

Jeremy

I meant the BT-LH900, not LT-BH900. Sorry for the typo.

Edited by jeremyg, 13 December 2005 - 05:26 PM.

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:18 PM

I know this monitor is really set up to work with a varicam, but we are looking for an onset LCD monitor that can be powered by the camera or anton bauer gold mounts to be used for putting on a dolly, and also for color critical viewing. Of course, we are shooting with the SDX900 and were wondering how this monitor looks in 16:9 SD, as opposed to HD. It'd be nice to have this monitor as dual duty framing and color and not have to haul a heavy CRT along with us as we travel extensively. I looked at the BT-1700, but it seems that this monitor doesn't perform too well with SD signals, and is more of an eye candy monitor for HD.

Can the 900 do well for us? Are there any other recommendations out there?

Thanks for your time.
Jeremy

I meant the BT-LH900, not LT-BH900. Sorry for the typo.

That's a $4000 monitor which, as you imply, doesn't really fit your requirements. You'd be much better off
buying a Sony PVM-9L3 ($1100) and a Panasonic 5" LCD ($700ish). One for checking color, the other to ride along on the dolly. You can power either one with an AB battery (with adapter plates) and you'd still have $2000+ left over. I'd feel funny trusting an LCD monitor for checking color. Not saying they're not accurate, just saying... plus the good ones are still mucho $$.

#3 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:18 PM

Whoops. Don't need two of those.

#4 jeremyg

jeremyg
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:21 PM

I hear you, but I can't afford to haul around a crt. We travel extensively and I'd make up the $2,000 in baggage overage and the cost of a flight case in a job or two. I know that LCD manufacturers are still trying to make a nice LCD. I'm just wondering if this one comes close. We control the whole process from shooting to editing, so "fixing it in post" is not a problem for us. Plus the waveform is an added bonus.

Has anyone seen this monitor with an SDX?

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks