Tomas Koolhaas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • los angeles

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:19 PM

Hi everyone,
I have used the SDX900 once before (although it hardly counts as I never prepped the camera or even had a single second to look throug the menus, a tech gave me the camera and the director instructed me to shoot using only the tech's settings!!- very wierd situation). I am now probably going to shoot a horror feature on the SDX using the Pro-35 W/Ziess super-Speeds. The project will be for Digi-Beta Master (also DVD of course), for screening on interlaced monitors mostly.
As far as I can deduce from skim reading the manual and other sources I have figured on these setting so-far, forgive me if I have made any errors I haven't had a chance to double check anything yet (Luckily I will have a chance to prep the camera this time and will experiment with the best looks, but wanted some advice from more experienced SDX users- Tim JBD to name one):
DVCPRO50, 16x9, 24p, Interlaced mode, V.Detail at '0', V.Res 'Interlace'.
I was going to also experiment with the 'film-like' gamma settings once I actually got my hands on the camera, but it sounds like I might want a higher contrast look ('film-like' is apparently lower contrast for more recorded information) as the director doesn't want to do too much post grading! and I would prefer to arrive at a close-to-final look on set!
Also, as far as I can tell the camera only has viewfinder markings for 4:3 and 16x9 (Unlike the F900) is this true? Also on the F900 I have used up to +6db gain without any problem (even when projected on large screens) how would the SDX image hold up with similar gain levels (This project will probably never be projected). If there is anything I am missing or should know please Let me Know.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by Tomas Haas, 13 December 2005 - 11:20 PM.

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 14 December 2005 - 01:28 AM

Tomas,
I PM'ed you.

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Technodolly