#1 Herbert

Herbert

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Director

Posted 14 December 2005 - 06:28 AM

I'm working on a project that requires shooting against greenscreen. I'm new to this and time is running out for me. I only have little time to do any research. Perhaps some of you can help me out here.

What are the pros and cons using HDV (HVR-z1) when it comes to shooting a greenscreen?

Are there any procedures that I can follow as a check list or guildline when I do this?

Is it true that I should lite my subject 1st before working on my backdrop?

If a waveform monitor is no availible, how do I use a light meter correctly to make sure my greenscreen is evenly lite?

I appreciate for the help

herbert

#2 Jay Gladwell

Jay Gladwell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Miami, FL

Posted 15 December 2005 - 07:56 AM

Herbert, do a search using the keyword "greenscreen" and you'll find what you need.

#3 Tim Shim

Tim Shim
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 December 2005 - 11:46 AM

I'm working on a project that requires shooting against greenscreen. I'm new to this and time is running out for me. I only have little time to do any research. Perhaps some of you can help me out here.

What are the pros and cons using HDV (HVR-z1) when it comes to shooting a greenscreen?

Are there any procedures that I can follow as a check list or guildline when I do this?

Is it true that I should lite my subject 1st before working on my backdrop?

If a waveform monitor is no availible, how do I use a light meter correctly to make sure my greenscreen is evenly lite?

I appreciate for the help

herbert

I'll try to help to the best of my knowledge.

HDV Pros - Resolution
HDV Cons - Compression, 4:1:1 Color Space (Less color/chroma information)

As noted by Jay, do a search for procedures/guidelines for shooting greenscreen. HDV is similar to DV so read where applicable.

It isn't a hard and fast rule but common sense would have it that it would be easier to focus on lighting your subject first with your background lights turned off. Your background would be dark and you could more easily see the lighting on your subject without being distracted by the solid greenscreen background.

I'm not totally sure about this but I'm guessing you should take incident light meter readings from various positions on your greenscreen background to check for evenness.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post