#1 Ron_mc_Don

Ron_mc_Don
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:23 PM

Hi Guys!

Are any of them worth the time and money? I've never sat down and read one cover to cover but I've skimmed two old ones a classmate brought in one day and didn't think they looked too useful. They seemed to cover REALLY basic things like going through the different types of standard shots (long, medium, close up, etc).

My fear is that I'll buy one that's either too simple (like the ones I mentioned above) or I'll get one which is talking way above my head. Basically I want one which covers the follwing issues:
-Colour, frame, depth and focus
-Using light metres
-Loading film cameras
-Changing apature and shutter speeds
-Film stock choice

It should:
-Cover all the bases from start to finish
-Be in-depth, but at the same time explain everything in an easy to understand way and
-Be both artistic and technical

A WHAT, HOW, and perhaps most importantly WHY.

Thanking you all in advance,
Tony.

#2 Austin Schmidt

Austin Schmidt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York, Los Angeles

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:05 PM

Three books come immediately to mind:
Practical Cinematography- by Paul Wheeler
Cinematography Theory & Practice- by Blain Brown
Cinematography- by Kris Malkiewicz and M. David Mullen

Each book covers what you seem to be looking for and each covers some of the same stuff. However, each one does offer different insight to other areas that the others don't. I would recommend just going into a Barnes & Noble and flipping through their pages to see which one (if not all three) will best suit your needs. I think all three are well worth the money. I still find myself refering to them and reading them cover to cover after all these years.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:53 PM

If you truly love cinematography, it will be hard to stop you from reading every book you can find on the subject -- I have an entire bookshelf full of cinematography books, and a ton of magazines in my storage room. I've spent many hours over the years in the film libraries at UCLA, USC, AFI, AMPAS, and CalArts -- just for fun!

I'm always a little disturbed when someone says they just want to limit themselves to one book on the subject.

#4 Ron_mc_Don

Ron_mc_Don
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Student

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:21 AM

Thanks heaps. Those three books seem to keep on popping up in forums, so it seems like they're the ones to start with. Congrats Mr Mullen for writting such a popular book!

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was looking for the definative work on the subject which I'd read and then think I knew it all. Sorry if I came across like that. I just wanted to make sure that I was pointed in the right direction. Thanks for helping me out!

Tony.

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc