#1 Oliver Ojeil

Oliver Ojeil
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:48 PM

I was reading how you guys were hamering down on Landon being young and all, so I'd like to know if he has made his first short or feature yet. I admire young talent and love to watch young directors emerge in the business.
Thanks

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:02 AM

I was reading how you guys were hamering down on Landon being young and all, so I'd like to know if he has made his first short or feature yet. I admire young talent and love to watch young directors emerge in the business.
Thanks

Landon is the new head of Paramount.

#3 Jonathan Spear

Jonathan Spear
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 December 2005 - 06:47 AM

Oliver,

Landon's making progress. His posts are getting more informative.. less typos.. he seems to be a quick learner, especially on the digital spectrum of this board. Ya never know.. maybe he will be the head of Paramount someday. He's definately on the right track.

-Jonathan

#4 Josh Bass

Josh Bass
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 December 2005 - 01:50 PM

I find it highly amusing that you started a thread just to talk about another member of the forum, and not one of those who's an ASC member, or even a working DP, no less.

#5 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 18 December 2005 - 03:17 PM

I think Landon D. Parks is a wonderful person. I mean, I've never met him but I only wish I was that cool when I was his age. Unfortunately at that age I was a Goth, so it was not a possibility.

Let's start a Landon D. Parks fan club!

:P

#6 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:36 PM

I believe there already is a Landon D. Parks fan club, with himself the club's President.

:lol:

Just joking, Landon!

Does anyone think Landon would do any worse a job as head of Paramount compared to their typical head honcho?

EDIT: Just to add: No offense to Landon, but looking at Paramont's current US releases ("Aeon Flux", "Barnyard", "Get Rich or Die Tryin'", "The Last Holiday", "The Weatherman", and "Yours Mine and Ours") I believe my pet _cat_ could do a better job as the head of that studio ...

Edited by Peter DeCrescenzo, 18 December 2005 - 05:05 PM.

#7 Josh Bass

Josh Bass
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 December 2005 - 06:56 PM

The Weatherman was not that bad.

#8 Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2005 - 06:57 PM

Well, Landon's going for it, that's all that matters, it's drive that allows you to succeed. And yeh, many old people around here do try and hammer down on the young people. Maybe they're jealous or something I don't know... (Just 'cos we still got our hair ;) )

I don't judge people if they're old or young, it's wherether they're an ass or not.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith, 18 December 2005 - 06:59 PM.

#9 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:06 PM

Landon lives in a part of the country where it's very easy for filmmakers to get 2-3 page articles about themselves in the newspaper. There is also a low power TV station that interviews filmmakers each week. With all of this free publicity, I have wondered why Landon is nowhere to be seen. :huh:

#10 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:46 PM

Hi,

The multiplex here is currently showing Harry Potter, Narnia, and Kong.

Across eight screens.

Nothing to do with La Parks, but I have rarely been less impressed with a programme.

Phil

#11 Josh Bass

Josh Bass
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:13 AM

Actually, that has everything to do with Parks. Wherever he is in the world, those three movies just made him poop his pants with excitement.

Edited by Josh Bass, 19 December 2005 - 01:14 AM.

#12 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:49 AM

Considering its budget, King Kong had a pretty poor opening weekend. It performed way under the expectations.

#13 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:46 AM

Outstanding. I don't think I've ever come across a project more deserving of dismal failure.

It is widely acknowledged that the downturn in cinema attendance over the last three years or so is due to the piss-poor quality of the product. When are the production companies going to do something about it?

Phil

#14 Annie Wengenroth

Annie Wengenroth
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Brooklyn, NY

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:54 AM

Phil I think you need to relax and have a drink.
That is going to be my default response for the next week.
I enjoyed "Kong" for what it was; fluffy entertainment. I have been trying to become a more shallow person because I'm tired of thinking about things so much. This movie was a great help in that regard.

#15 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:48 AM

I think Landon D. Parks is a wonderful person. I mean, I've never met him but I only wish I was that cool when I was his age. Unfortunately at that age I was a Goth, so it was not a possibility.

:P

The cool thing about Landon is that he actually has a bit of a personality and stuff, this is why people are able to knock on him. He also has dreams which is a good thing and he is young enough not to know what things are impossible yet which can sometimes be really useful.

I must also confess that I like Phil too. He is just like the Morrisey of the film world or something. Maybe that's not a good analogy... Anyway I like it when he posts something because it's like "Hey it's Phil" doing his Phil thing. I also especially like it when he lays into London/England/The U.K. then I'm just laughing and saying "yeah! say it how it is!" to myself.

I also think theres nothing wrong with being a goth, but then I like there to be all kinds of people, I like variety. I dont know, if people didn't have personalities then all the films would be like "Stealth" or something and I don't like to think of things like that *shiver*

love

Freya

#16 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:55 AM

I have been trying to become a more shallow person because I'm tired of thinking about things so much.

I don't even know where to begin with a statement like this.

The reviews for King Kong have been quite favorable. It is generally considered to be a well-crafted work that is above par filmmaking. I have no problem with the occassional super-huge blockbuster piece of cinema, as long as it is done well. Stupid explosion movies have little entertainment value and while I enjoy intelligent cinema as well, all films do not have to be Last Year at Marienbad to earn my endorsement.

#17 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:41 PM

The cool thing about Landon is that he actually has a bit of a personality and stuff, this is why people are able to knock on him. He also has dreams which is a good thing and he is young enough not to know what things are impossible yet which can sometimes be really useful.

I must also confess that I like Phil too.

Phil's very lovable ever since he quit the last "Sex Pistols" reunion tour.

As for Landon, and speaking only for myself, the problem is his pontifications on topics of which he has no experience and attempting to pass himself off as expert having only read press releases and such. Now that's all good fun but people who don't know any better engage him in threads-with-no-end and wind up being stymied in finding whatever it was they might have been looking for.

He DOES have gumption though. No denying that. How many of us were CEO of major entertainment conglomerates at 18?

http://www.cinematog...p?showuser=1531

I don't worry too much about Landon and wouldn't be surprised if a few of the posters here end up working for him one day.

#18 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:34 PM

I don't even know where to begin with a statement like this.

I can sort of relate to it.

I'm probably putting words in her mouth and only she can know but I think she might mean that sometimes you get so exhausted by dealing with all the bad things, that you can't cope with anything too complicated on top of all the *real* complicated stuff. Then you might think I just want to see some silly soppy entertainment or something somewhat mindless ...and Holywood makes a lot of mindless entertainment.

Actually, some of it enters a realm beyond mindless.

Also trying to be a shallow person, might be good from a conformity point of view if you can pull it off. *shrug*

love

Freya

Edited by Freya, 19 December 2005 - 02:35 PM.

#19 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:36 PM

I believe my pet _cat_ could do a better job as the head of that studio ...

Well the "Lassie Come Home" remake would get shelved before it hits US Theaters :D

-Sam

*weird* thread you got going here......

#20 Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:32 PM

The fact that Landon reads these things is precisely WHY he is so well known around here. I don't mean this in an offensive way (actually it's more random than anything..) but let's take the spice girls, hardly "fantastic" musicians, but they knew what was IN, and how to pull a crowd. And look where it took them. It was the image.

Landon knows how to look like a pro. Because in this industry I don't always think the work does speak for itself, it's the image of the person, which is precisely why I discovered Clearasil, oops nope.. that's drifting away now.. :blink:

You want proof of this theory?? I somehow got a months work doing what might become a TV series by telling the producer I'd shot loads of HD and 35mm stuff and acting like some big shot upcoming DP (complete crap..) Which lead to me working with some highly experienced actors and crew. For instance the art director from 'Bernards Watch', BBC production.

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith, 19 December 2005 - 06:38 PM.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Opal

Glidecam

Tai Audio

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies