#41 Matthew B Clark

Matthew B Clark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, IL

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

I would test some 7203 to see how it looks. If you want a contrasty look on video try getting a projection contrast print made and transferring that, assuming you don't want to change things when colour correcting in post..

Are you saying scan it in (say, simple HD ProRes 422 or other basic DI), edit in the box, then export your edit back to the lab for a film output....and scan that film out back in to add contrast? 

I'm also trying to get my head around a process that would allow for more of the feel of a photochemical finish, complete with the grimy charms and blemishes of antiquity (so be it) without the need for negative cutting (expensive....and likely not even available).  I would love to know what sorts of workflows one can take trough the DI process for editing but still yield a contrasty, slightly old school photochemical look. 

Something that would allow me to shoot on S16 and obtain the same kinds of looks that harken back to an optical workflow David Mullen got with Love Witch, for instance.

EDIT:  and yes, I know the looks come from lighting, set design, lenses, etc.  But I'm specifically addressing here the choice to embed some character into the printing process aspects....to add a tool to the tool chest if you will...

Edited by Matthew B Clark, 19 October 2017 - 03:36 PM.

#42 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:25 PM

I would try grading your film on Resolve or similar to create the look you want. An experienced colourist should be able to take your film through it. 

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

CineTape

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam