#1 Gino Terribilini

Gino Terribilini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Student
  • Long Beach, CA

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:15 AM

I have an Arri 16S and I think I remember reading somewhere that in order to use the 400' magazines you have to have your camera converted to 12v. Is this true?

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:24 AM

I have an Arri 16S and I think I remember reading somewhere that in order to use the 400' magazines you have to have your camera converted to 12v. Is this true?

If you are running your camera without the mags on a 12 volt battery pack, then yes, you do need to convert the torque motor to 12 volts if you want to use the mags. But if you are running your camera off an 8 volt battery pack, then obviously there is no need to convert the torque motors.

It seems like many folks are running their cameras off of 12 volt battery packs these days. Which makes it necessary to use the variable speed motor, as 12 volts will eventually ruin the constant speed motors. I have found a different solution. I got a couple of 7.2 volt Ni-cad batteries from Radio Shack. They each came with their own charger. It is Radio Shack part number 23-322. They are made for R/C cars. They charge up in five hours and run the camera for quite a while. Wire the two packs in parallel.

I did a series of tests with the constant speed motor (24fps) and the variable speed motor, with the 12 volt battery pack and the 7.5 volt battery pack(for some reason the 7.2 volt batteries, when fully charge, give 7.5 volts), with my strobe tester. Here is what I found.

The constant speed motor is very constant when run off the 7.5 volt battery pack and the 12 volt battery pack(although I only did breif spurts with the 12 volt pack for fear of frying the motor), and the variable speed motor was quite variable with both battery packs. What I mean by that is that the variable speed motor drifts faster and slower when set at a particular speed, independent of the voltage being 12 or 7.5. I know of many folks using the variable speed motor with a 12 volt battery pack, and I wonder if they are getting exposure variations because of this drift. I did not see the drift in the constant speed motor. Mine runs at 23.6 fps, not exactly 24 fps, but at a very constant speed.

Food for thought,
-Tim

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Willys Widgets