Photo

Any suggestions for a good solution at a good price?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Austin

Steve Austin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sound Department

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:41 AM

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a a couple of direct to disk hard drives and looking into the Shining HDV (http://www.shining.com) for my current Sony Z1 and maybe even the new Shining Citidisk HD for the new Panasonic HVX-200 I have on order. The pricing seems better than the Firestore from focus enhancements. From what I was able to glean off the specs it seems to be a great solution for the price. I just want to record to disk and that's it. No other special features needed.

Any suggestions for a good solution at a good price?

Thanks,
Steve Austin.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:52 PM

Hi,

I don't see what the advantage is on the HVX-200. You're going to record to P2 cards and offload it onto a laptop, and thence to more hard disks... or you're going to record to a firestore, and offload it onto a laptop and thence more hard disks, if only a bit less frequently.

The HVX has got to be the better camera, shame about P2, but still.

Phil

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:02 PM

I don't see what the advantage is on the HVX-200.

It seems the advantage is that this system allows you to shoot DVCPRO-HD on a camera that costs less than $10,000... because putting a DVCPRO-HD deck in the thing would have certainly made it more expensive than any prosumer camera. So the question is whether one thinks that DVCPRO-HD is better than HDV, enough to be worth the hassle of using the P2 system just to get it without having to use a Varicam.

I guess the question is whether there would have been a better system than P2 to get DVCPRO-HD or HDCAM-like quality in an under-$10,000 camera that avoided an HD tape deck. Maybe you could offer some constructive advice, Phil, along these lines. How would you have designed the camera? (I'm serious -- I really want to know!) Or should have Panasonic just embraced the HDV format?

#4 Peter J DeCrescenzo

Peter J DeCrescenzo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 620 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR, USA www.peterdv.com Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/

Posted 19 December 2005 - 09:50 PM

In a world where a 40GB bare 2.5" "laptop"-style hard drive sells retail for around $60-$70 US (and continue to get less expensive every day) I've got to wonder why _most_ prosumer or pro users would even consider the vastly higher cost per GB of solidstate memory devices such as P2 cards.

A hypothetical 40GB P2 card would probably require less power than its HDD equivalent, but relatively high-capacity camcorder batteries aren't terribly difficult to find or afford -- and batteries continue to increase in capacity and decrease in cost, too.

It's true that solidstate memory is more resistant to physical shock compared to a typical 2.5" laptop harddrive. However, this may be a red herring, because most camera operators go to great lengths to avoid "bumping" a camera while recording! (Unless they're going for an extreme MTV shakey-cam look). And I suspect an on-board solidstate memory buffer could be used to allow ample time for a HDD to recover after a physical jolt before resuming a write operation.

Further, given the relatively low-tech involved in HDD slide-in/slide-out tray mechanisms, they can be handled and transported easily and securely.

Sure, solidstate memory devices can play an important role in production, but IMHO they don't make economic sense for most users compared to HDD, videotape, shiny disks (e.g.: XDCAM), and film.

Just my opinion; I could be wrong.

Edited by Peter DeCrescenzo, 19 December 2005 - 09:58 PM.

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets