Justine Haupt

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Student
  • Long Island, NY

Posted 19 December 2005 - 01:18 PM

Has anyone every tried attaching a mini35 (depth-of-field) adapter to a super a cam? They're meant for digital formats, I know, but there's no reason one couldn't be used with super 8 to get a nice shallow DOF. Has anyone tried it or know of any issues with a setup like this?

Edited by Justin Haupt, 19 December 2005 - 01:18 PM.

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:38 PM

As far as I know the minis only have kits to connect to 3 chip cameras. The problem is they are designed to put their image through a long peice of glass, while film its assumed the light will be transmitted via air. The difference is with the prism, light must enter reletivley parralell to avoid chromatic abberations as a result of the image distorting differently from CCD to CCD. With the 8mm you may find the distance you have to mount the mini35 from the 8 combersome to rig up. plus there is no real mounting method. hope that you set your camera within the relay lens' focal plane and hope that nothing moves it out (because the relay cant be connected directly to your 8's mount.)

you also have to build a shroud to cover the gap between the relay and the camera, and hope no stray light gets in, or dust.

In the end I suppose it would be possible, even though it could get a bit tricky, far trickier than I would deal with just to shoot 8mm. Call the people at P+S. they are always willing to help out, and if you have a chunk of change, they may design a custom relay for you.

#3 Matt Sandstrom

Matt Sandstrom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Director
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 20 December 2005 - 12:08 PM

nah, i think you're talking about the pro 35. the mini should mount to anything with a tripod mount and capable of zooming in and focusing properly. what the exact specs are for that i don't know, but you'll likely need a long zoom. i'll try to test it the next time i rent a mini 35 for some other shoot.

/matt

#4 andres victorero

andres victorero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:26 AM

This is a great question but the answer is hard.
I have a Panasonic DVX100 and I´m trying to build a homemade mini35. I saw a lot of footage shooting with this gadget and the results are amazing. The shallow deep of field is a great improvement to archieve a movie look.
How i told in video cameras works very well if the system is good, but I think that this mini35 adapters won´t work well in super 8 cameras. The principal problem is the softness that gives the mini35. The image of video cams are sharp and this softness can be help to archieve the film look but the super 8 image is no sharp so the mini35 give you a very soft image, very shallow of field but very soft image. And i am speaking of mini35 with spinning ground glass because a static ground glass give you a lot of grain, so your super 8 + mini 35 with static ground glass give a soft and grainy footage :(
I haven´t saw mini35 + super 8 footage but I think that the simply super 8 footage with low apertures give you a shallow deep of field... and less grainy and much more sharp. ;)

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Abel Cine

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Opal

Paralinx LLC