5 replies to this topic

#1 Marcus Frakes

Marcus Frakes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:24 AM

OK I know a little of this is too much in films (Nike, Audi, Pepsi, Omega). But I'm curious how to offset the cost of a film by using just a couple of products in shots. How do you approach these companies? What's a ballpark price to ask in addition to the "free" product. Are there standard contracts floating around for this??

I know it's all relative, so here's an example:

I want to put a handheld GPS receiver in a scene. It will be shown with a user tapping out map points for less than 10 seconds with the GPS manufacturer's logo visible 1/2 the time. It will take up approximately 25% of the projected screen.

Any "positive" comments on this?? B)

#2 LondonFilmMan

LondonFilmMan
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:50 AM

Marcus Frakes,

Why dont you think about DELEGATING since you are plain tired as you say.

#3 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:41 PM

Product placement isn?t that simple. If you are highlighting a product in a heroic light you might be able to snag a free prop from the company. You have to convince them your film is legit and people will see it. Usually they want to see some name actors. Getting money from a company is a lot tougher. They have to feel that the advertising money they give you will translate into sales. They want to see a name cast, established director, studio backing, and a good chance at a theatrical release. In sort a film big enough you don?t need product placement money.

#4 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:12 PM

Companies are very concerned about your credibility and guarantees of the presentation of their product. The contracts and attorney fees on this issue can break your budget. It is easier to tape over or obscure the logo or other branding on the prop. We print out bogus labels for cigarette packets, tape over logos and names on TVs, on and on like that. You should definetly keep these things out of your movie. You don't want someone's lawyers riding your back unless you install OSHA approved handrails and slip proof footings on your butt.

#5 Trevor Swaim

Trevor Swaim
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:22 AM

I was able to get some "product placement" deals for my no budget feature "apathy". I concentrated on local businesses, in specific food companies. all I got out of it was free food, potato chips, some deli stuffs and pepsi from the local distributor. I changed nothing in my script and really just put the products in the back ground or had actors eating them in the scene. the trade of was i had some really good food for the cast and crew where i most likely would have had none otherwise.
i think that the key to my "success" was asking, i got rejected alot but i just found another company and asked them. this combined with the local press that i got for making a film in an area where films were not made (SE Iowa).

#6 Marcus Frakes

Marcus Frakes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:19 AM

Cool guys...this helped alot. It's a topic not really covered in "typical" places.
Thanks also London, yes I know about delegating. I just thought the line would be a little funny to the few who read it...and I'd never do ALL those things at the same time...just 5 or 6.

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

The Slider

CineLab

Abel Cine

Glidecam

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc