2 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Dinger

Eric Dinger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Student

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:22 PM

So I found one of these for sale for about $75. No charger, but old dead battery. I did alot of searching, but turned up very little about the camera. Is it a good model? If so how can I check out the one I'm looking at to see if it's in good condition?

#2 A.Oliver

A.Oliver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Other
  • Croydon UK

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:56 AM

So I found one of these for sale for about $75. No charger, but old dead battery. I did alot of searching, but turned up very little about the camera. Is it a good model? If so how can I check out the one I'm looking at to see if it's in good condition?

Hi, for a start, is the battery attached to the camera? can the battery be unscrewed from the camera. I have found with the beaulieu 2008 and 4008 cameras that batteries left on the camera for a number of years cause problems. Gases from the battery tend to mist/haze/fog up the viewfinder. So first check the viewfinder is clear. Next unscrew the small start plunger under the lens, then unscrew the lens, shinning a torch into the lens from the front, then rear element check there is no haze/fog/fungus on any of the elements within the zoom lens. The 2008 runs on 4.8 volts, a refurb battery will probably cost more than the camera, then you will need a charger. The camera dates from the 60s, so it may need a service. I owned a 2008 many years ago, i cannot remember if theres an inbulit wratten filter, if there is that could be in poor health. Probably cheaper to put the cash towards a known working camera.
Andy

#3 Eric Dinger

Eric Dinger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 December 2005 - 03:28 PM

Thanks, I was hoping I had found a good deal. Battery not withstanding, I can make those no problem. But the veiwfinder did seem dirty. Maybe I can talk the guy down. Does the lens just unscrew? No release buttons or anything? Which way?

Edited by egdinger, 21 December 2005 - 03:29 PM.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Abel Cine