#1 Alex Corn

Alex Corn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • NYC

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:33 AM

I didn't know what forum to put this in, so here goes...I have a filter labeled only tiffen f-2, and I would like to know what it is. It is definitely a diffusion filter, and has an effect like a strong pro-mist. I looked on the tiffen site and did a google search, to no avail. Also, while on the topic, does anyone know what filter(s) Kaminski used on Minority Report and The Terminal? Thanks guys.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:45 AM

I didn't know what forum to put this in, so here goes...I have a filter labeled only tiffen f-2, and I would like to know what it is. It is definitely a diffusion filter, and has an effect like a strong pro-mist. I looked on the tiffen site and did a google search, to no avail. Also, while on the topic, does anyone know what filter(s) Kaminski used on Minority Report and The Terminal? Thanks guys.

That would probably be a Fog #2 - a fairly heavy diffusion for modern audiences. Fog #2 was Geoffrey Unsworth's favorite filter (you can see the effect in "Superman: The Movie", "Cabaret", "A Bridge Too Far", "Great Train Robbery".)

Kaminski mainly used a black net (Dior probably) stretched behind or in front of the lens or a Schneider Classic Soft for "War of the Worlds". For "The Terminal" it was mainly just the Classic Softs. For "Minority Report" it was mainly the black nets, although some ProMist may have been used.

Just note that Classic Softs and nets have strong patterns, so if you are shooting something like DV with a lot of excessively deep focus, you may start to see the pattern over the image -- you need to shoot wide-open on longer lenses with DV if you plan on using those filters. Not so much of a problem with ProMists but even that can be a problem if you stop down too much.

You can tell a net is being used for the fuzzy star-shaped flare you get from lights.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:12 PM

Example of a flare from a net:

Posted Image

Example of a flare from a Classic Soft (note double edge of lights around objects):

Posted Image

Example of glow caused by Fog Filter:

Posted Image

#4 Alex Corn

Alex Corn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • NYC

Posted 23 December 2005 - 03:03 PM

As always, you are a wealth of info David, thanks. The classic soft is definitely the filter I was wondering about, I love the glow it produces, especially the way Kaminski uses it. Thanks again.

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:28 PM

You can see Classic Softs, nets, and ProMist in use in "Munich" -- most of the movie appears to have used Classic Softs, but you can occasionally see nets used for some outdoor scenes, and the night attack in Beruit looks like ProMists were used instead.

Classic Softs have "bubbles" (lenslets) in a pattern in the glass, and the lighter grades have smaller bubbles, so their effect on points of lights vary by strength of filter and focal length. Sometimes you get quite a pronounced ring or fuzzy bubble around a light, other times its more like a double-edge refraction around edges.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

Visual Products