#1 Sandy Thomson

Sandy Thomson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 25 December 2005 - 03:28 PM

I've been shooting with a Sony HDV camera using a Vinten head and tripod rated for 22 lbs. The results have been good as have studio interview shoots using the same tripod and head but with my SR2 package.
However I have recently screened dailies shot on a field project and am very disappointed with rough pans and tilts using the Arri/Vinten setup. I think I need a more substantial head/tripod for this camera package. There are probably many possibilities but I'd appreciate a couple of suggestions.

Sandy Thomson

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 December 2005 - 10:02 PM

22 ibs is certainly pushing it when you want smooth control over a camera of that size. I would go for something rated for at least 28ibs., and I would also want it to have numerus drag settings and spring tensions, plus a balancing plate. A Satchler Video 18 or similar should do you quite nicely.

There is a good rule of thumb which states that there is no such thing as a tripod head that's too big. The only difficulty may be in lugging it around, but the bigger the better. I use a head the equivalent of a Studio 25, and I also prefer 150mm ball to 100mm ball.

#3 Sandy Thomson

Sandy Thomson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Toronto

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:08 AM

22 ibs is certainly pushing it when you want smooth control over a camera of that size. I would go for something rated for at least 28ibs., and I would also want it to have numerus drag settings and spring tensions, plus a balancing plate. A Satchler Video 18 or similar should do you quite nicely.

There is a good rule of thumb which states that there is no such thing as a tripod head that's too big. The only difficulty may be in lugging it around, but the bigger the better. I use a head the equivalent of a Studio 25, and I also prefer 150mm ball to 100mm ball.

Thanks Mitch. When I bought the camera the owner had it mounted on what I thought to be an enormous head and tripod. I thought it would be way to heavy to cart around but I guess he knew a whole lot more than I.
Looks like I'm going to have to spend 6-7k unless I can get something good used.

ST

Glidecam

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Willys Widgets