#1 Henri Titchen

Henri Titchen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 December 2005 - 07:25 AM

Hi,

Does anyone know if Fuji motion picture film has a remjet or equivalent backing?

I am looking at some processing of film using a Morse G-3 tank and would favour Fuji film for this experiment if there is no backing to remove.

Any information on this?

Thanks From,
Henry.

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 26 December 2005 - 11:23 AM

Hi,

Does anyone know if Fuji motion picture film has a remjet or equivalent backing?

I am looking at some processing of film using a Morse G-3 tank and would favour Fuji film for this experiment if there is no backing to remove.

Any information on this?

Thanks From,
Henry.

Hi,

Fuji Colour motion picture film has remjet. Its actually darker or thicker than on Kodak film, which I descovered with my through the base tests.

Stephen

#3 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:05 PM

Any information on this?

Whne Fuji First started making Colour Neg compatible with the Kodak product they DID NOT have the rem-jet backing. At the time I was playing with using MP film for stills and one of the folks who was also into that actually bought some and sold it as still rolls just so we could take advantage of that feature.

The rem-Jet is widly considered to be better to the alternative which is a silver layer that is cleared in the blech. I recently shot my first ever rolls of 16mm Negative :) which included some 8622 and 8662 and they both had a black backing.

I don't know how to express my wife's comment, seeing the Workprint of those shots at 24 FPS, Shot with my Filmo, and viewed with a Kodak Pagent - she said wow that is a good as the super 8.. - The last super 8 she saw was Kodachrome 40 at 18FPS.

#4 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:10 PM

After some problems with their camera films that did not have rem-jet, Fuji returned to using rem-jet in the mid-1980's with the "Super-F" series of films.

Rem-jet is only one of several technologies used for halation protection and anti-static properties in Kodak motion picture films. For example, Kodak VISION Color Print Film uses a conductive scratch-resistant anti-static backing layer, and proprietary solid-particle dyes for halation protection.

The Kodak ECN-2 process has a pre-bath and rem-jet removal steps:

http://www.kodak.com.../h247/h2407.pdf

#5 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:25 PM

Rem-jet is only one of several technologies used for halation protection and anti-static properties in Kodak motion picture films

Does that imply that a given hypothetical film might have more than one? i.e. Rem-Jet and a dye underlayer?

#6 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:48 AM

Does that imply that a given hypothetical film might have more than one? i.e. Rem-Jet and a dye underlayer?

If it improves product performance, yes, multiple technologies might be used.

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Visual Products

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post